1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bugsy (Band)

Discussion in 'Music' started by midnightoil, Jun 28, 2011.

1. midnightoil

midnightoil New commenter

The Boosey website lists the scoring as
    Clarinet I and/or Flute *
    Clarinet II and/or Alto Sax *
    Bassoon
    Trumpet
    Trombone
    Guitar
    Bass Guitar
    Drums
    Piano
    Other than just piano, does anyone know from experience what the most effective minimum band would be. For example, I guess I can do without a bassoon.
    I'm thinking of piano, guitar, bass, drums, clarinet and sax. How essential are the woodwind and brass. I've heard the CD but there are, I believe, significant differences between the scoring on that and what one hires.

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Not very helpful, sorry - but when we did it we used all of the instruments in the score. I don't remember the bassoon player saying that she had nothing important to play! I'm seeing her tonight and if she has a different opinion I'll get back to you.
    We didn't have clarinets at all, but used the alternative flute and alto sax parts. I used accomplished 6th formers for the trumpet and trombone players, but all of the others were adults. I seem to remember the drummer preferred to use his electric kit as he thought the acoustic would be too overpowering.

3. tanbur

tanbur New commenter

I did this about 10 years ago. I think we used most of the band parts, except bassoon. We also had an excellent banjo player who learnt his part by ear and from the guitar part.

4. Am doing it currently and have changed some parts to suit two guitars, bass, piano and drums and it sounds fine.

5. midnightoil

midnightoil New commenter

Thanks for the replies.

6. v12

v12

Done it twice - once with the full band and once with just piano, drums, trumpet and clarinet.

Full band is the business, but it worked with the smaller group as well.

7. We did bugsy with adults on piano, guitar, clarinet, trumpet, drums and students on two flutes, sax, bass guitar. Probably you could do the whole thing with piano, guitar and drums but will sound much much better with more instruments.

8. We did it this year and cuts loads of parts out through doubling. The flute played the clarinet, sax and trumpet parts if that helps?

9. We did it a few weeks ago.
    piano, bass, drums, clarinet, sax, tpt, and trombone.
    This worked well. The sax has alot of tacet but when called upon to play, has some important stuff.