1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

bugs going round

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by lemonadi, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Wondering if anyone else has any experience at the moment of fever/dizziness/night sweats/nausea? Is there something going round?

2. Wondering if anyone else has any experience at the moment of fever/dizziness/night sweats/nausea? Is there something going round?

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Well it could be a bug, lots around at the moment.
    Genuine 'Flu', as opposed to a heavy cold which most people equate to flu, can have some of these symptoms as can 'walking pneumonia' or stress. even (if you're female) menopause. But if it's not too bad you need to look after yourself, take time off and if it's not better in 2-3 days or gets worse, book an appointment with your GP.

4. thanks for the advice - probably best to follow it and see GP if it doesn't pass. i don't have any cold-like symptoms (cough, nasal nastiness). i had the flu jab earlier this year but i'm not sure if you can still get the flu after this?

5. Lara mfl 05

Answer, yes you can. The 'jab' protects against the strain of flu they expect to 'hit', (in this case exactly the same as last year) but if you happen to come up against a different strain, no protection!

6. Lara mfl 05

And edit button timed me out again!
    "i don't have any cold-like symptoms (cough, nasal nastiness). " You don't neccessarily get these with<u> flu</u>.
    Years ago, so the story goes, doctors would tell the difference between a cold & the 'flu' by putting a &pound;5 note on the floor (probably nearer a &pound;50 these days) & tell the patient they could keep it if they could pick it up. The person with 'flu' couldn't even be bothered to lift their head from the pillow to look, let alone get up and pick it up. So it does mean you feel awful, often incredibly tired & achey.