1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Buggy/pram/pushchair for going off road (moor and sand)

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by puddle, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Hi
    Does anyone know/have experience of good buggies/prams/pushchairs for use on sand and grass? So far people have recommended the Mountain Buggy- but I think they were taken over by Phil and Teds this year or last (and one site said they dont rate Phil and Teds compared with the mountain buggy). Someone said Bugaboo cameleon can go off road but the front wheels clog quite easily if there is any mud at all.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks!

2. hi puddle! Thank you for starting this post. We are starting to think of buying the 'stuff' and want something similar so will watch this post with interest. Not able to recommend anything myself yet!
    PS How are you? is it your 20 wk scan next week? Mine is Tuesday x

3. backpack/carrier!
    We went for a country walk with some friends. Our tiny ordinary buggy (the smallest graco) didn't do well on soft gravel but it has a solid front rail so with a wee baby it was easy to carry because it was very light.
    Their super off-roader was better on soft ground but useless with obstacles. e.g. one person could easily lift ours over styles with baby in - they struggled with two.
    So my recommendation is a superlightweight buggy with a solid front rail and a complete handle for a wee baby. It's much harder to carry them if they have separate handles or no front rail.
    Here is a picture of what we had so you can see what I mean about the handle and the front rail. One hand on each and away you go - dead easy! Great for getting over foodbridges and things.
    Graco citysport (still in use, 7 years on!)

Remember to lock buggy wheels on softer ground.

If you are going to buy an offroader, think carefully about where you're going to store it. They take up a lot of room.

For big baby/toddler, I wouldn't use a buggy.

4. we have a backpack and also a Redcastle Jogging buggy which is fantastic off road - never tried it on sand but think it would be fine. Also folds a reasonable size and stands up when folded so can slot wherever there is a reasonable space. Fits into Golf boot with no problems. (was fantastic in the 40 cm snow too!)
    this isn't the one we have as ours is older - ours has a wheel which you can fix or swivel but will give you an idea of what they are. (it is the shop and jogg one)
    http://www.olivers-baby-care.co.uk/red-castle-sport-shop-n-jogg-disc-ii-3-wheel-buggy.html

5. Oh wow that does look good - and it looks lightweight and it's got one handle and a front rail too to help when you need to lift it. I'm impressed! [​IMG]
    Ours was 1/6 the price though [​IMG]

6. For a bugaboo cameleon you swap it round so the big wheel is at the front - work really well and doesn't have issue buggies have with small wheels where you have to work really hard to push it over the rough terrain.

7. Helenholmesuk

Helenholmesuk New commenter

We have the Jane Slalom Pro - we use this off road as we have a dog - took it through some pretty rugged paths in the forest of dean whilst on holiday and it was great in the snow. It's not cheap but my sister had an older model that has lasted 7years and 3 kids so if mine lasts the same then I think it will be good value. We also have a baby jogger city mini; I use this as my 'clean pram' sounds daft but it's lightweight and makes shopping in the car a bit easier and we will use it when we go abroad in the spring. Hope you find what you're looking for x

8. Hi Ladies. I'm just bumping this up. What a mind field this pram business is.

We need a pram/travel system. Basically we live out of the way a bit and lots of the walks we do will be kind off off road (lots of big stones/gravel/beach walks etc).
    We went shopping yesterday and were recommended a bugaboo or an Oyster. However this was they most expensive in the shop so I want to know what else is out there really.

Has anyone else got any advice please? Jut googling the Jane Slalom.

9. I really think that for real all terrain walking a back pack/sling when they are tiny is the way forward. We still put 2 ywar old in back pack she also much prefers it to buggy. They talk.rubbish in mothercare I was told you could take a bugaboo up a mountain!!!! I somehow dont think the woman had ever actually been near a mountain let alone up one! The reality is that whatever buggy you have very narrow paths with weeds are impossible, stiles a nightmare and steps difficult particularly if there are a lot of hhem. If you carry baby when walking then you can just get a buggy for more level terrain.

10. Not suitable for a young baby or for going up a mountain, but we did live in the country when my son was a toddler, and found that the most basic upright MacLaren buggy was quite good for negotiating hills and narrow paths.

11. "Does anyone know/have experience of good buggies/prams/pushchairs for use on sand and grass?"

I know that Silver Cross makes some excellent models that have large wheels and it makes for happy traversing acros just about any terrain. This is the link to their pushchairs.

- Rachel

12. I have spent days looking at prams. I seriously think my OH should become a pram sales rep. He knows everything about every pram honestly :)

What we have found is the bugaboo is a good pram. What is good is that the big wheels can go to the front for rough ground. All by simply flicking the handle bars over, only pram I've seen do this. Also less storage because the lay flat carry cot os converted to a push chair by changing covers. Also looking at the video online it can have the wheels changed and can be pulled on sand. It is fab but so is the price tag.
    The babystyle oyster is also good but does have a separate carry cot and push chair attachment. This to me is really light.
    The only silver cross pram which would be anywhere near suitable is the Vouge (think it was called that). I found it much heavier than the Oyster and was not as keen Maybe just because the oyster hadsome really nice colours).
    Mamas and papas Mylo was lovely but heavier and not as good for rough roads as the others I don't think (my brain was mush by this point and I was more interested in baby clothes)
    Babies r us had a brittax travel system which was a 3 wheel jobby but OH was much keener than I was.Was quite nice but I wasn't so sure the 3 wheel system was sturdy enough, OH much prefered it. The suspension technicall was better than the silvercross but it didn't feel it to me.
    I loved the look of the I candy but don't think it is an all terrain kind of pram.
    So really I am none the wiser. My friend has a 2 year old and siad travel systems are a bit of a waste as when they go into a push chair all you want is a quick and ealy fold up lightweight push chair. Is that right? Are we wasting our money?
    As for a carrier I don't think OH or myself could carry baby in one as we both have back problems. Mine isn't too bad but I have no strength to carry anything for log periods. It is for that reason we really need the buggy.
    I once read a book about a woman having a baby and her and her OH went to some big baby world. They stocked all the prams and had big runway things with different surfaces to test each pram out on. Wish I had shopped there :) I'd loved to have run around testing them all out.

13. I have spent days looking at prams. I seriously think my OH should become a pram sales rep. He knows everything about every pram honestly :)

What we have found is the bugaboo is a good pram. What is good is that the big wheels can go to the front for rough ground. All by simply flicking the handle bars over, only pram I've seen do this. Also less storage because the lay flat carry cot os converted to a push chair by changing covers. Also looking at the video online it can have the wheels changed and can be pulled on sand. It is fab but so is the price tag.

The babystyle oyster is also good but does have a separate carry cot and push chair attachment. This to me is really light.
    The only silver cross pram which would be anywhere near suitable is the Vouge (think it was called that). I found it much heavier than the Oyster and was not as keen Maybe just because the oyster hadsome really nice colours).
    Mamas and papas Mylo was lovely but heavier and not as good for rough roads as the others I don't think (my brain was mush by this point and I was more interested in baby clothes)
    Babies r us had a brittax travel system which was a 3 wheel jobby but OH was much keener than I was.Was quite nice but I wasn't so sure the 3 wheel system was sturdy enough, OH much prefered it. The suspension technicall was better than the silvercross but it didn't feel it to me.

I loved the look of the I candy but don't think it is an all terrain kind of pram.
    So really I am none the wiser. My friend has a 2 year old and siad travel systems are a bit of a waste as when they go into a push chair all you want is a quick and ealy fold up lightweight push chair. Is that right? Are we wasting our money?
    As for a carrier I don't think OH or myself could carry baby in one as we both have back problems. Mine isn't too bad but I have no strength to carry anything for log periods. It is for that reason we really need the buggy.

I once read a book about a woman having a baby and her and her OH went to some big baby world. They stocked all the prams and had big runway things with different surfaces to test each pram out on. Wish I had shopped there :) I'd loved to have run around testing them all out.

14. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

Isn't that one of the Shopaholic books?
    I live by the beach, but it's pebbles not sand, and there were plenty of buggies on it today, but just the lightweight ones. I suppose people carry them to wear they want to sit though, rather than wheeling them, so not sure if there is a good one for actually walking with on different terrains.
    We have an icandy - it was originally an Apple but we've now converted it to a Pear as my daughter was born just before my son was 2. Originally it was the 3 wheeler, but it wasn't all terrain. For that you probably need something a bit lighter.
    We've used the icandy for over 2 years now. I bought a lightweight one but didn't like it so used the Apple all the time. My son was in the carrycot bit for over 3 months. If he hadn't been so long, he'd have been in it for longer than that. We got a car seat with it and he was in it for 6 months, and my daughter is using it now, so we've had our money's worth from that. When my son doesn't want to sit down in the buggy anymore (he hardly does now) i'll either convert it back to the Apple, or sell it and get something i can attach a buggy board to.

15. d2148j

d2148j New commenter

I would not use a buggy but a sling. A Soft Structured carrier such as an ergo, mancuda etc.

16. I agree and wish I could, it would have been loads cheaper, but both myself and OH have bad backs so couldn't carry a sling for long periods. I do think a sling would be easier though.

17. d2148j

d2148j New commenter

have you tried looking for a sling library (www.ukslinglibrariesnetwork.co.uk) as a proper fitting soft sling shouldn't cause any problems, even for peole with a bad back as weight is distrubted properly. My back is seriously damaged after accident when I was 13 and I carry H most days

18. Oh really, thanks I shall have a look. My friend gave me aliberty sling but that is not for long walks. I'll have a look and see what they suggest. Thanks again.[​IMG]