1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Budgets?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by doctorinthetardis, Jun 26, 2015.

1. doctorinthetardis

doctorinthetardis New commenter

Hi all, sorry I didn't know where to post this.

Just wondering how much roughly would be spent /allocated to a cohort over the school year? I ask only because this year we have had to buy everything we have needed (resources/ new furniture etc) out of money raised through fundraising and wondering if this is normal?

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Not sure I understand your question - what sort of school are you in? Are you head of dept in a secondary, or year leader in primary? Is it state (and if so, LA or academy/free) or independent?

No-one can tell you an amount that might be allocated, because all school budgets are different and in any case, we don't know how many children are in this "cohort"!

3. doctorinthetardis

doctorinthetardis New commenter

Sorry if I didn't make that very clear! Primary state academy- 60 children in cohort.

I'm just a class teacher but management have asked us to develop our provisions this year such as the outdoors and using more reggio inspired open ended materials. However we have been expected to do all of this without any money. We have had to buy everything with money we have fundraised.

I'm happy with the vision and change, but getting tired of spending hours on second hand websites and driving to get furniture and working really hard to get things for free. I'm just wondering if money should be allocated from the budget for a cohort if the school want things changed or how much is usually allocated to a cohort - It seems like there hasn't been any money spent on our cohort at all this year but I don't know if this is normal.

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Not normal at all. There should be some funding though - as I indicated above - it's sort of impossible to say how much, because (obviously) it depends on how the head has been forced/decided to allocate funding (what comes first in budget is staffing, then essential bills such as rates, electricity, etc).

5. State schools rely on charity for funding!

Teachers required to prop up schools budget!

The bottom line is ....... if the money isn't there you can't do it. After all, this is what the government's austerity plan is telling us!