1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Budgets

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by amy_96123, Nov 27, 2011.

1. I need your help; we got given &pound;1112 for KS3, 4 and 5. This is completely unmanageable when this need to pay for 2 Product Design project per child in year 7 and 8 (in total 720 KS3 projects) 35 learners doing GCSE in a year (6 hours a week,) 15 AS learners and 2 A2 students. This works out at around &pound;10 per A2 learner, &pound;5 per AS learner, &pound;4 per GCSE learner, and around &pound;1 per KS3 project (that has a booklet that with photocopying comes to nearly 20p per booklet.) <font size="2">As you can guess we have run out of money already. We have been told we are doing too expensive projects and need to re look at them. </font>
    My questions are;
    <font size="2">- How much is your Technology budget?</font>
    - Is it split equally between material areas?
    - How much is an average KS3, 4 and 5 project?
    Lastly I know DATA published some information on project prices, does anyone who how much they recommended per project.

2. timbdesign

timbdesign New commenter

The easiest way to compare capitation uses cost per pupil taught per year. So 500 pupils following D&T courses and capitation of &pound;2500 would equate to &pound;5/pupil per year.
    The D&T Association has surveyed schools for many years and publishes recommendations for capitation in this way. The most recent information I could find with search on their web site was this.
    "The average levels of funding are provided in the D&T Association's Annual Survey of Provision. The average is &pound;7.31 according to the 2004/2005 survey; the D&T Association's recommendation is &pound;11.75."
    I seem to remember The I Mech E recommended 50% more than D&TA!
    Here is another tack. The UK is almost unique in the world teaching IT as a subject below the age of 16. Elsewhere IT is used as a tool where and when it is needed. If I were still a D&T subject leader I would be mapping the IT requirements to D&T courses and showing how my staff could deliver them through existing projects with some modernisation made possible with IT funding. D&T would provide real and relevant contexts for learning the IT. My offer to the head would be improved results in both IT and D&T In the same curriculum time. D&T staff should be prepared to update their teaching to incorporate more IT but shouldn't they be doing this anyway? This strategy also fits in with the move of many high schools to larger faculties.
    Hope this helps.

3. I would collect up some typical materials which equate to these figures and take them into your curriculum managers' office. Don't forget the cost of abrasive paper etc. This subject area is expensive as it consumes materials. Worth checking out how the school formula dishes out money to other areas which do not have consumables! DATA did suggest that the per pupil per lesson formula for D&T should be multiplied by at least 1.5. A recent check in my school suggested that whilst d&t was getting formula x1.5 some other areas which only appear to use books and paper also had a similar weighting. Science of course was considerably more!

4. My deputy works on a cost of around &pound;200.00 per lesson for a week.
    Thus each of the 14 Yr 7 classes gets &pound;200.00 and we have 2 lessons. So that is &pound;400.00 to last ONE class a whole year. Add to this the 14 yr 8 & 9 classes, and the KS4 7 KS5 it all adds up
    We along with science are the biggest cost centres. Science is calculated on a similar basis, both of us use consumables

5. Spencer_DT

Spencer_DT Occasional commenter

It appears that you may require some immediate action. Whilst I do not know the ins and outs of your particular situation and dept I have a couple of suggestions that may or may not help.
    1) KS3 booklets; Do you have access to ICT eqpt and if so is it available for all or some of your KS3 lessons/projects. If yes, then do not photocopy your booklets, put them on the shared area and get the students to work from a copied version in class in their user areas and email themselves their homework. Students without access at home can be given access after school or lunch times?
    2) There is no legal reason whatsoever why you cannot charge students for their projects, a nominal fee. Most Food teachers ask the students to bring in their own ingredients so why can't you. All it would need is a short letter explaining that the price of materials need in some way to be contributed to. Check with the school first to see what they say.
    3) I have done this one, get a sponsor, company, name on your department, take part in comps promote the company, produce local or in house news letters and include them. Best company is the one that can give you resources or materials. Don't rule this one out.
    Good luck and tell us all how you get on please
    Cheers
    Spencer Herbert
    TES DT Advisor

6. Per year our key stage 5 students are calculated at £25 per student, Key stage 4 £10 per student and Key stage 3 £1.25 per student per project with 5 projects in Y7 & another 5 in Y8. In Y9 students select 2 material areas for the year with a slightly different calculation.

I use a spread sheet to calculate the actual amounts for each material area based on student numbers. Each areas spending is tracked carefully by the departmental technicians. We also have a separate amount for general departmental supplies and a budget to cover departmental photocopying especially of KS 3 student booklets.

Sewing machine servicing does not come out of our budget or serving of the two workshop large equipment. The new food dishwasher was paid for by school and not the department after a break down in October.

We have been lucky in the last year to have had a large quantity of donated fabric from a relocating shop. Next term we hope to investigate other companies to link with. This may be a way of sourcing materials and if work isn't collected we recycle where possible.

Many years ago we charged £5 per student to cover all the projects in the year for KS3 however we haven't repeated this in recent years but might be something to consider.

Our students bring their own food ingredients unless we are running a product analysis or tasting. We do have key store cupboard ingredients to hand and often make up e.g. batches of bread dough to use in class. In Textiles KS4 and 5 students want to buy their own fabric but we have fabric for toiles, interfacing, calico, trimmings, buttons, sequins etc and lots of boxes of scrap. Key stage 3 we always have some fabric available but most want to bring their own. In Electronics and RM we tend to source materials.

Considering recycling & sustainability you may find donations of clothing may give some interesting fabric to work with. Or have a project based around creating an old item from old clothing.

Maybe reduce booklet pages down by having reference pages up loaded on the VLE or laminated key pages in class which can be used again.

7. Good lord! The resources for my Y7 in a year come to around &pound;200 and the resources for my Y8 come to around &pound;1000. That's more than your yearly budget for the whole department!
    It's split on the basis of demand. Whatever projects we want to run are slotted into the budget somewhere, no matter how unevenly, as long as the whole budget adds up okay.

Average Ks3 project... thinking about it... excluding my Y8 projects which come to &pound;6 and &pound;4 per student, I would imagine that they average between &pound;2-3 per student. Wood for boxes, plastic split between class groups, fabric... not sure how much our candlestick project is. Probably more.

Average KS4 project, we only run one project that costs anything significant. That depends on the material and size the student fancies so there's no average at all. Could be a few bits of plywood or a block of meranti with some acrylic and aluminium attached.