1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Budgeting, finance ideas for Y6?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Hharpersarah, Jun 21, 2015.

1. Anyone got any ideas on budgeting, finance activities for Y6? We've done quite a bit so far on:

• Credit and debit cards
    • Interest in accounts
    • Stocks and shares
    • Income and wages
    • Planning for a trip

Thank you.

Sarah

2. emmat34

emmat34 New commenter

Have a go at a £5 challenge, Virgin do one but it is under way at the moment. Try something smaller - we did a £2.50 challenge in small groups of 3, they had 3 weeks to invest £2.50 and make the money grow by selling in the playground. That way they had to manage their own accounts, fill in the account sheet/posters/display/learn stuff when things go wrong and all the fun of running a business. I did say that parents could not help or shop for them. They had to give me their lists in good time and it worked. Our £2.50 challenge raised over £100 and the £5 challenge nearly £300 so far. They get so chuffed. Only thing I would say is to have a calendar where the groups sign up to sell, allow only 3 groups per day and no like-products sold on the same day. They learnt about healthy competition and now don't feel bad or aggrieved if they check out the competition price-wise. It only took about 20mins of class time to start off and then they did it all themselves.

3. Andy.Pipkin

Andy.Pipkin New commenter

Concentrate on ensuring they can do calculations without a calculator. Let secondary worry about this stuff.

Really? You haven't used a search engine? :)