1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Budget??

Discussion in 'Music' started by sydney3, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Hi all,

I have been asked to bid for my budget for next year. I have been asked to explain how much/what I might need for next year and split this into ks3 and ks4 (i am planning to add an extra curricular section too). I really don't know what to put as I have always been given an amount before (I am at a new school). Ks4 is new next year as we don't have them yet (being new) and I have requested some start up money for CDs , anthologies etc as part of the start up fund. At the moment I am also ok for keyboards and handheld percussion. Any suggestions about amount or items to spend money on will be most appreciated.

2. Hi all,

I have been asked to bid for my budget for next year. I have been asked to explain how much/what I might need for next year and split this into ks3 and ks4 (i am planning to add an extra curricular section too). I really don't know what to put as I have always been given an amount before (I am at a new school). Ks4 is new next year as we don't have them yet (being new) and I have requested some start up money for CDs , anthologies etc as part of the start up fund. At the moment I am also ok for keyboards and handheld percussion. Any suggestions about amount or items to spend money on will be most appreciated.

3. Start with the basics and then think about how do you want to develop the department and what do you need to do this? I would say hand held recording devices are always a good investment. I've got around 10 now and means I can get pupils to record their work on a regular basis especially at KS4. I'm now after some hand held cameras so I can video work and see exactly who contributed what and record technique etc.
    Other things that I always include in my bid for funds:
    stationery including CDs,
    repairs to instruments
    music stands
    amps/leads
    beaters
    tuning of pianos/steel pans
    headphones and splitters
    (Our ICT and computers come out of a different budget.)
    I always ask for more money than I think I'm going to actually need especially with things I want to develop and maintain the department and generally get most of what I ask for. We're an equipment heavy subject and need the money to maintain and replace equipment more so than some of the other subjects like maths than tend to rely on exercise books and textbooks (ducks and hides from the flack from other subject teachers!)

4. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

Hear, hear.
    Yes.
    Huh?! what is this, 2002? MP3s are your friends.

5. I buy the Cd's and then keep them hidden, ripping the required tracks.

6. TrueFaith

TrueFaith New commenter

I would assume the CDs are blank, and destined to have student work, backing tracks and any other necessaries burnt onto..

Keep well hidden (to other departments as well as students - honestly, the amount of times other depts came looking for CDs and headphones - slightly off topic, I know, but buy your own, and don't get the hump when I'm using them and can't/won't lend them...)

If your budget needs to be itemised, keep a slush fund for repairs etc..

I'd also bid for the price of a coach trip to do a trip of some sort, whether it's a matinee of a musical or trip to BME or similar..

7. Exactly True Faith!
    Even though with the advent of mp3s, I don't have any department mp3 players for the students to play along to backing tracks etc. in the practice room so they have to be burnt to CD, although my CD players now play data CDs which make life easier. Also downloading legal tracks for use in school is really difficult - I am no longer allowed to do this myself and then claim the money back and whilst I'm negogiating an agreement with how we proceed about downloading music, buying and then ripping CDs is my only option as I refuse to subsidise the department with my own money.

8. YesMrBronson

That's just my point. Stacks of blank CDs will cost more than MP3 players and they're much less useful.
    Please click here for a plentiful supply of free backing tracks.
    The above link should also assist with the problem of needing to purchase lots of CDs.

9. joining the debate with CD's, join up for a free account with spotify/grooveshark etc. on the later you can also create playlists which the kids can then access as they are searchable by anyone (home learning tasks, extra listening, classwork, etc endless use).
    Also the link to youtube made me laugh- I deff gain most of my audio exmaples from there now!
    recording devices are a must, plus camera's if you do any vocational qualifications. most photo cameras record excellent HD footage as well as stills.

10. Thank you all so much. Have now put my bid together, recording devices was a very good idea as at the moment I only have one flip camera. I heave a very thorough list, fingers crossed! :)

11. pauljoecoe

pauljoecoe New commenter

You Tube -a good instant source of just about anything but dodgy sound quality most of the time.

Spotify - actually illegal to use in school. Out IT team will not put it on computers.

Grooveshark - not really looked into terms and conditions but its blocked in our school and I would guess there are similar legal issues.
    I down load a lot of stuff from itunes but the it is still a grey area when storing on a school network for access by anyone. All these systems are designed for personal use not educational/public.

12. YesMrBronson

I disagree with "most". The quality has improved massively over the past two years, especially since Vevo got involved.

13. trelassick

trelassick New commenter

Yes, our IT technicians will not store on the school network.

Also, YesMrBronson, I would say that the sound quality is poorer on mp3 due to the compression - it may have improved but is not as clear or detailed. If not why would several recording labels be offering different download rates?

14. YesMrBronson

No need to store anything on the school network with youtube.
    This isn't an issue in a secondary school classroom. MP3 is fine for that. When I said things had improved I referred specifically to youtube.