1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Budget survey and a chance to win £50 of Amazon vouchers in the draw - closes 5pm on 20th April 2011

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by TES_Community, Apr 8, 2011.

1. TES_Community

TES_Community Administrator

With schools receiving their budget settlements for the next financial year, The TES is asking you to complete our survey so we can get a national picture of how the Government’s changes are affecting school budgets.
    The survey will only take a couple of minutes and is completely anonymous.
    If you would like to be entered into our prize draw giving away three £50 Amazon vouchers please enter your contact details at the end of the survey.
    http://www.tes.co.uk/TESbudgetsurvey

2. dusty67

dusty67 New commenter

Well I tried filling this surevy in but it wanted me to fill in answers where they weren't needed.

asked if I was planning to reduce staff numbers, answered no, won't let me continue becasue the number I am reducing by wasn't filled in!!

3. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

It's true - you can't get beyond Q7

4. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Same problem for me!

5. dusty67

dusty67 New commenter

Anyway, contrary to all the warnings of impending Armageddon, I was pleasantly surprised when we got our budget. In fact the Bursar ran it through twice as she couldn't believe how much we had left to allocate once staff costs, SLAs, rents/rates etc covered.

We are planning to increase teaching staff by 1 and TAs by 2 due to increase in budget that pupil premium has brought us. however, because there's no guarantee about future funding, these will be temporary appointments.

Anyone else surprised by their budgets?

6. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Very pleasantly, yes. I have almost 100k more than last year, which is a huge amount. Numbers have gone up but not by that many. Pupil premium has helped.
    in all I've got the same amount of money as I spent last year ( I got lots of income from various other sources) so we should be ok. Only done the headlines so far. Sorting out the nitty gritty next week but thankfully there will be no redundancies this year!

7. mickeyforpresident

mickeyforpresident New commenter

I'm £40k down :-(

8. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Sorry to hear that Mickey.

I must say, it's probably the one (and only) advantage of having 50% FSM.

Last year's budget was dire. I'm trying not to worry too much about the future.

9. Hi. Sorry to hear of problems with the survey. Could you please try it again now? Thanks.

10. R13

R13 New commenter

Hi apologies as I suspect you know this already and I don't want to sound patronising but just in case please check about the differences between this years front loaded budget and the system we have been used to in the past.

For example our new budget has £40,000 in it in relation to threshold and responsibility payments we use to recieve at the end of each term - we look £40,000 better off because of this and really are not
    Also we got about £45,000 in the budget instead of standards fund - again superficail increase and in real terms nothing at all

The pupil premium should of course be new money.

For what it's worth we found our actual budget when all is included to be down about £50,000

11. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I've done all the sums. My LA are devolving more to schools than in the past ( although were still one of the most poorly funded in the country with an awpn half of that of a westminster child) plus my numbers are up a little. Pupil premium has helped me out bigtime!

12. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Just as an aside, in my LA we haven't had any addition funding for threshold payments for about 5 years, it's had to come out of our own budgets. We've never had additional funding for TLR payments. Probably explains why they are as rare as hen's teeth in my neck of the woods.

13. mickeyforpresident

mickeyforpresident New commenter

I wonder if the creation of a national budget formulae will make things a little fairer? I also suspect that the pupil premium will increase next year!! Even though I'm £40k down, I,ve a small reserve which I'm wiping out to balance staffing for next year and attempting to cut down on supply and no casual hours for support staff etc. It's allowing me the luxury of c. 23 in a class in upper juniors!!