1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Budget food shopping

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by EraFleur, Jan 3, 2011.

1. I have just checked my bank account and it was quite frightening, all bills etc have come out but I have £161 left [​IMG] and will need to feed my car petrol! I am wondering if I will make it to the next pay day (end of Jan) without having to do any sort of supermarket food shopping. I am hoping to just get by grabbing milk at the corner shop and buying the odd few fresh ingredients. I have plenty of things in the cupboards, any advice? Here goes...

2. I have just checked my bank account and it was quite frightening, all bills etc have come out but I have £161 left [​IMG] and will need to feed my car petrol! I am wondering if I will make it to the next pay day (end of Jan) without having to do any sort of supermarket food shopping. I am hoping to just get by grabbing milk at the corner shop and buying the odd few fresh ingredients. I have plenty of things in the cupboards, any advice? Here goes...

3. henriette

henriette New commenter

I would suggest that you start by making an audit of what you have. I emptied my freezer this morning and wrote down everything that was in in: found several things I had forgotten!
    Do this for freezer, fridge and cupboards and let us know what you have + what sort of food you like/don't like and what cooking equipment you have/don't have.
    Bethannie will astound you with things to cook in a slow cooker
    CQ has a fab range on non-meat meals up her sleeve
    Modelmaker will remind you of all the old-fashioned dished your parents/grandparents used to make and that you have forgotten.
    Egyptgirl has a range of Greek and Egyptian flavourings and styles she will share with you.
    Lapin is queen on the Middle Eastern, but as a qualified Food Techie will also set you straight on fundamentals
    Who have I forgotten?
    PS: my speciality is creating pasta sauces from "absolutely nothing"

4. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Hope you're feeling better [​IMG] Take it from someone who knows, it will get easier.
    Well, I learnt the lesson that Lakeland and wine DO NOT mix!
    I intended to get a wok or a griddle pan and came away with neither! My purchases are being returned - I don't need or want any of them...I don't know what I was thinking!
    I bought 20 poachpods?!
    An asparagus kettle?!
    3 ravioli presses?!
    A slimline laundry basket?!
    Some fancy cups and mugs
    A magimix food processor (nearly £300!!!)
    Kenwood processor (over £400!!!)

5. ROFL - here we are on a budget thread and Little Miss Egypt bought 20 (!!!!) poachpods and an...asparagus kettle!!!!

6. egyptgirl

OK, what does ROFL mean?
    Like I said, wine and Lakeland doesn't mix! I now stick to a cup of tea when on the Internet!

7. Rolls on floor laughing - it really did make me laugh out loud [​IMG]
    Now, as a penance, you will have to provide the OP with at least 10 cheap recipes [​IMG]

8. egyptgirl

Well, at least it made you smile! [​IMG]

9. I am still crying tears of mirth - what on earth did you think you were going to do with TWENTY poachpods?

10. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

do 3 lots of Belgian truffles make any sense?

11. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

because I'm not that fond of salmon and have to disguise it since my son loves it!
    I'm looking forward to that list. I'm sure we can feed the OP for a month witha little know-how.
    And Egyptgirl- I'll take a couple of poach pods- but 20 !!???

12. Si N. Tiffick

Oh yes!

13. I'll raise yer - I reckon we can get 8 weeks of meals out of a standard, fairly well-stocked store cupboard!

14. Well, assuming she is not cooking for 10 every night!

15. Si N. Tiffick

I just had a look on the Lakeland site- you spent £50 on poachpods??? I need to lie down.
    CQ- during the recent bad weather, many stores were not delivering to Scotland and the shops were starting to run short on staples. My son got very worried that we were going to starve until I showed him my storecupboard and freezer and assured him that we could probably survive a nuclear holocaust on the storecupboard we've got! It might get a bit tedious after the first fortnight without fresh veg etc, but we'd be fine!

16. Yup - I could easily cook for a good few months without having to replenish - although as you say, without fresh veg etc.
    I could feed us on rice and pasta with tinned toms or garlic and oil or dried mushrooms for at least ...a couple of months? [​IMG]

17. Tinned tom sauce with varying herbs and spices of course - I would be lost without my herbs and spices.
    Tonight the Med, tomorrow Middle East, next week Asian, next month Carribbean!

18. Si N. Tiffick

That made me laugh out loud! Under the stairs I have a huge zippable sack of white basmati, one of brown basmati, and a sack of chapatti flour. I buy them in sacks as the diddy wee supermarket packs are ridiculously expensive in comparison, and dried goods keep for ages so we get through it. I also have probably 25 cans of napolina tomatoes as they were selling the 4 packs for half price recently so I bought all I could carry as they're a staple in my cooking.
    Note to self- put garlic and oil on shopping list in case of nuclear holocaust.

19. I'm cooking for 1!
    My freezer is very small, in it I found 2 pieces of fish, quorn, pitta breads, frozen fruit, ice cream and ice cubes!
    My cupboards contain... quite a variety of different noodles, dry tagliatelli (sp?), spaghetti (not much), a variety of dried pulses/beans - red lentils/butter beans/chick peas, dried soup mix, lots of different spices, some jars of pasta sauce, jam, tinned fish (tuna/ mackarel mostly), mixed beans in tins, re-fried beans, rice, rice pudding rice, cereals, 6 eggs, fry light spray.
    My fridge - a big bag of red,yellow and green peppers, 2 carrots, 1 leek, 1 turnip, 1 cucumber, some cherry toms, plain fromage frais, cottage cheese, sun dried toms in a jar, black olives in a jar, cheddar, white stilton with apricots, goats cheese, milk, hardly any marg (I will surely need to buy this)
    That's mainly what I have, I think quite a lot! I'd quite like to lose weight too so any healthy recipes much appreciated. Thanks so much for your enthusiastic response to my question!

20. ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh, you are well stocked!!!!
    This is going to be fun!
    Right - first one for you...
    Fry an onion (you didn't mention them, do you have some? If not, use a bit of leek) with some coriander, chilli, garam masala, cayenne pepper (or any hot spices you have).
    Add a bit of chopped green pepper and allow to sweat.
    Once you start to "smell" the spices, add a tin of chickpeas (or equivalent of soaked and cooked, much cheaper - 125g dried is about one whole tin worth of 400g chickpeas) and a tin of tomatoes. If you like, add another tin of tomatoes, then the meal goes further and you can take some in for lunch to work.

Allow to bubble and simmer for a while. Spice it up some more if you like.
    Eat with rice, pasta or a jacket spud.
    Red lentils...this one is yummy (I have a chicken version but we are avoiding buying, so try this one first - if you have some coconut milk, but if not, we will let you buy that)
    https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/418093.aspx?PageIndex=1
    Post 4