1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Buddhist speakers - any suggestions - Surrey

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by Arabella_AN, Jan 18, 2012.

1. I am currently studying Buddhism and Suffering with Year 9 and would like to invite in a Buddhist speaker to talk about their faith to each set throughout a day. Does anyone have any good suggestions of speakers that would engage and interest a lively bunch of year 9s?
    My school is near Epsom Downs.
    thanks
    Arabella

2. Hi Arabella
    It might be a little bit too far but there is a Buddhist centre in Brighton, which is very open to visits. It might be worth contacting them. Brighton also has the UK's only Buddhist school, the Dharma school.
    Hope this helps

3. patersoncaroline55

patersoncaroline55 New commenter

There is Buddhist monastery in Chithurst (nr Chichester, W Sussex) who are happy to do school visits or allow students to come to the monastery. They came to us last term and were really good. They are Theravada and don't drive though so would depend on how far away you are. Hope that helps.

4. Thank you for those suggestions, I think it would be too far to bring them from Chichester to Epsom, but it might be more exciting to go there the year later.

Really good to have some replies!