1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Budapest

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by ann5an, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Hi there,
    I am interested in a post in the American school in this city. Package looks good - housing allowance - 1257 Euros. My salary scale would be around 32000 euros. How does this seem in relation to the cost of living? i have 2 young children. Is it possible to save money? Also, I would be very grateful for information on this school nd life in Budapest for a young family.

Thanks in advance :)

2. bump......anyone?

3. I am not too familiar with Budapest but the package you have been offered sounds mighty reasonable.

4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I am afraid that I cannot give you very much help. I have travelled quite a lot in the Czech Republic, the Ukraine and Bulgaria, as well as teaching for two years in Bucharest. My wife and I also have property in Bulgaria. Therefore what I am writing may have some value.
    Yes, it does sound a good package and on the whole "American" international schools tend to pay significantly better than "British" international schools, so it all looks pretty good. Budapest is a lovely city and it is well-placed if you want to do more travelling in Eastern Europe. Rents in Bucharest used to be pretty cheap, compared to the UK, but my guess would be that now this is no longer the case. Prices for many items will probably be more or less the same as in the UK, although locally-produced things will be significantly less. You will also discover that prices will probably come down a lot once you come out of Budapest. (Mrs Hippopotamus and I have found that there is a big difference in the prices between Sofia and Veliko Turnavo, where we recently bought an apartment.)