1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

bucket lists

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nizebaby, Oct 20, 2019.

1. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

When you think of a young life cut short, it's natural to regret all the experiences not had. But for the rest of us, are bucket lists just another way of wishing our lives away?

I wonder where and when the phrase came from.

2. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Unusual things to do before you kick the proverbial bucket?

Can't say I've got a list myself - the usual things keep me happy enough.

3. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

I've just googled it. Now I know but I can't be bothered to share because It's so inane.

4. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

There are things I'dike to do and places I'd like to visit.

5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Since retiring mrs B and I have:
    Driven Route 66 in a Mustang convertible
    Spent a month in Australia
    Cruised the Caribbean
    Went to the Ice Hockey World championships in Slovakia
    Went to three Boston Bruins games (In Boston)

Health permitting we want to visit New Zealand, visit some more European destinations, spend more time in the US and Canada, explore the UK

6. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Give folk an opportunity to talk about themselves ;) ?

blazer, catmother and BertieBassett2 like this.
  7. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I’m content to see and watch documentaries about far flung places with no burning desire to go there. The thought of long- haul travel has no appeal.

I won’t be bothering with a bucket list.

8. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

There are places I would very much like to visit, but that’s beyond my means.

I’m just happy for the small things and to be able to do them.

ShowerGel and sbkrobson like this.
  9. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Don't let the Extinction Rebellion acolytes on here find out....

blazer and Bedlam3 like this.
  10. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

I don't have a bucket list as such. I'm just going to do whatever takes my fancy when I can. I'm happy with the things i have done so far in life and if I were to die tomorrow I would feel content and happy. On the whole I have had a good life so far so anything else i get to do from now on is a bonus. I love to travel but I also love to spend time with friends just having a cuppa and chatting. I had a phone call with a friend this morning who I've known for 26 years and he lives quite far away so I only see him a couple of times a year but it was a lovely call and we had a good chat.

11. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Friends - and OH! - ask me that sometimes. I reply "The only thing on my bucket list is I want a new bucket for the garden". They think I am being flippant but I mean it! I had a traditional galvanised all metal bucket but it's rusted through. I can't find anywhere to replace it. All the buckets I can find have non-metal parts, wood/plastic handles etc. Or made of stainless steel.

So if anyone can find me an all-metal traditional galvanised bucket I will be a happy TES poster :)

12. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Bucket lists can be a bit me me me if you're not careful. Yes, there are things I'd like to do for me, but I'd like to do them anyway, it's not about becoming aware of my mortality and rushing to get one over on the Grim Reaper. If I do them then fine, if I don't then who will actually gives a **** once I'm gone? Not me for certain.

If it's all about mortality then I'd rather spend the remaining time leaving something for others after I've departed. Helping to install a park bench is a more useful legacy than nude skydiving under the Northern Lights or whatever.

13. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I'm sure the Blazers will be offsetting their carbon footprints as they go. :)

14. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Yea, right!

15. blazer

blazer Star commenter

If anyone watched this week's episode of Hairy Bikers. We did Monument valley like them. We also stood on the corner in Winslow Arizona and stayed at the hotel that was run by that Geordie fella. We also visited Seligman where our car was the subject of loads of photos by a coach full of Japanese tourists.

Me, me me me :p:p:p:p:p:p

16. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I personally advise against creating bucket lists, because If you plan a bucket list and then the life you subsequently deliver does not precisely correspond with the planned list, then you are obviously guilty of bad practice and might even be seen as inadequate, which, when pertaining to your whole life, is not a very good spot to be in.
    However, if you really do want to make a bucket list, be prepared to explain how, when and why you were not able to achieve all the things on the list and obviously if you can do that then you don't have to feel quite so sh%t about yourself.
    Yours
    S.L.T. Henchman

17. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I only had two things on mine. I've done one of them and am now afraid to do the other in case when it's finished I die.

18. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

They have them on Amazon and ebay, also
    https://www.gadsby.co.uk/prod/3078/large-galvanised-metal-bucket

nizebaby and Rott Weiler like this.
  19. RepelloInimicum

RepelloInimicum Lead commenter

https://www.screwfix.com/p/active-steel-bucket-13ltr/6114k

Rott Weiler likes this.
  20. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

I have never thought of a bucket list. I will give it some consideration. I’m guessing they will have to be SMART targets (not dreams involving Casualty doctors or Kelvin from Strictly).

BertieBassett2 and primarycat like this.