1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bucharest/Romania

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by ethnic, Jun 19, 2008.

1. I have applied for a job in an international school,which sounds like International School of Eucharest. Can anyone tell me what this school is like? It is for a secondary job. Also what is it like to live in Romania compared to the UK

2. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

I do not know much about the school you have mentioned, as I taught for two years at the British School. It used to be next to the French Village, but now it has moved.

Bucharest has some positives and some definite negatives. Romanian girls are absolutely gorgeous and the local wine is pretty good too! There are some nice parts of Bucharest (some interesting museums and lovely parks) and it is certainly a very cultured place. The public transport system is good (and fairly cheap). My favourite place in Romania is SIBIU, a magical city. An overnight, first class ticket for the sleeper train from Bucharest to Sofia was thirty euros.

Now for the bad news. A lot of Bucharest is 1960s concrete, a big slab of drab, and some places are NOT very safe. Traffic is a huge problem and the more interesting and pretty places in Romania are not exactly next door to Bucharest. Rents are getting more expensive.

3. invincible

invincible New commenter

A lot of how Bucharest looks harks back to Ceausescu's ideals and how he wanted it to look, hence the concrete slabs and stuff. But it is moving on and rapidly. In fact Romania had the biggest financial growth in 2007. No wonder the rents are increasing.

I've never worked there but hubby is from Bucharest and we'd like to go back one day. Out of interest, what is the pay like in international schools there since the cost of living compared to western Europe is much cheaper and the average wage in Romania at the mo is around 300 euros per month (I say euros as that's my currency at the mo).

4. invincible

invincible New commenter

Forgot to say, Sibiu is cool but if you want something extra, try out Brasov.

5. mousethew

mousethew New commenter

I've no idea about the school but I have to agree with Sibiu being great - it's the "Tunbridge Wells of Romania" (ie wealthy, picturesque architecture etc). I stayed there for 6 months(a lot of it in a campsite just outside of the town) 18 years ago and it was wonderful. Inter Sibiu was the first football match I ever went to (taken by a beautiful Romanian girl who never missed a match) and it had me hooked on the game instantly; although Stockport County have never quite recaptured the highs of that particular match. This post has really brought back some great memories...

6. nefteyugansk

nefteyugansk New commenter

I too, have applied for a job in an International School in Bucharest. I have travelled alot but never been to Bucharest. It is the International School of Bucharest. If you find anything out about the place, please let me know.

7. nefteyugansk

nefteyugansk New commenter

Hi Hippo,
    Offered a teaching post in Bucharest. Need to know two things: (A) How much is the rent for a average decent flat? (B) Is it safe to take my car there? I mean will I need to rent a garage.
    Thanks
    Nefteyugansk

8. the hippo

Did you receive my PM to your Inbox?

9. the hippo

I have sent you a PM, AlexisBarnard.

10. If you're determined to go to Romania, go for it and have fun. It's a great place. Bucharest just as good as anywhere else in Eastern Europe but cheaper still.

As for the school - tread carefully. My info is very reliable (i.e. first hand - used to work there) but very old. t may be that things have changed some but I doubt it. Expats were all on voluntary contracts and were being paid cash in hand at the end of the month. This was a tax fiddle on one hand and a provision for firing anybody at any given time without suffering any consequences. The more popular/ capable a teacher was the higher the chances of being fired. Mentality at mangement level (all Turkish) incomprehensible.

On the other hand, students there were the best I've ever had - both clever and nice.

Try getting in touch with some of the people who work there now. Guy called Ismail nicest one of them and capable but he's early years director.

Hope this helps.

11. Hi Alexis Bernard, I am going to Private message you as I am very familiar with Bucharest and its international schools.

12. Hi, do you have any information as to what salary to expect in Romania (Transylvania)? Thanks

13. the hippo

Not much, coxage90, but rumour has it that the school authorities hand out free garlic to all of the foreign teachers.

14. bead

bead New commenter

Go for it, if the job is ok and a decent well paying school.

Loads of interesting places in and around Rumania. Also Hungary and Bulgaria are fairly close and easily accessible by car, bus or train.

Vama Veche(hope I spelled it right) is a great place for a night especially if you are young or an old hippy type. 500m from Bulgarian border on the black sea coast. From there, its only an hour to Varna with Shabla, Kavarna, Balchik and the holiday resorts in between.

You can really have a good time in that region

15. invincible

invincible New commenter

Black Sea coast is a fair drive from Cluj Napoca though, especially with Romanian roads being as they are. Still, Romania is a great place to see and there's quite a lot to do in your spare time. If you're feeling more flash rather than hippy, you can go to Mamaia rather than Vama Veche.