1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BTEC

Discussion in 'Science' started by sciencebabe, Aug 26, 2011.

1. HI

Just got our exam results and it does not seem as if BTEC has been included in the 2 A* - C in Science figures, also I don't know if Additional applied has been included.
    Does anyone know what is going on with BTEC this year?

Also while I am searching through the dark place that is admin of science GCSE's at the moment. Does anyone know if the new linear changes affect additional and core GCSE, so therefore do both specs have to be done in Y11 for them to count?
    Ho hum interesting times......

2. HI

Just got our exam results and it does not seem as if BTEC has been included in the 2 A* - C in Science figures, also I don't know if Additional applied has been included.
    Does anyone know what is going on with BTEC this year?

Also while I am searching through the dark place that is admin of science GCSE's at the moment. Does anyone know if the new linear changes affect additional and core GCSE, so therefore do both specs have to be done in Y11 for them to count?
    Ho hum interesting times......

3. TRJ

TRJ New commenter

We have included the BTEC in the 2 science results for Y11. However I do know there was a little problem with Edexcel releasing the results early on Thursday and many schools didnt get them till late Thurs night.
    On the talk of BTEC - how do schools stop plagiarism in BTEC assignments? especially with lower ability pupils. Have BTEC come into your schools and commented on this?

4. The last I heard on this was that the exam boar don't know what his plans are yet, if it is for only new specifications or if it will affect everything. How science will fit doesn't seem to have figured for Gove's thinking at all.

5. Thanks for your help.
    I know that SIMS calculates the 2 A* - C in Science for us and it does that because each qualification is given a code and I didn't know whether BTEC has been allowed to have the same code as core and additional this year. I know it will not count for the eBac (same as applied science) - oh what fun we are having..
    Thanks Sideshow it really is a bit of a farce at the moment. We are still doing the GCSE over three years, so don't know know what the exams will be like - i.e can we do modular exams? I know that qcda (who are also being disbanded) have recommended that the 3 year course is stopped as the modules will not count, however there needs to be an answer about the core and additional before I do this. Unless the exam boards change all the exams it will mean that if they are as linear and do core and additional they will have 6 science exams in the summer.
    I think it is like the eBac when it was going to be five exams then suddenly someone must have told them that science was different from when they were at school and there were two seperate ones so suddenly both Science qualifications counted...
    Ho hum... lot's of fun