1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BTEC v A Levels

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by chris1980, Jan 16, 2012.

1. chris1980

chris1980 New commenter

Hi
    I am HoD in a challenging school and currently off BTEC level 3 ICT in 6th form with great success. BTEC works well as it lets our students produce coursework and improve their work.
    What i am looking into is offering A Level ICT, and want to know how hard or easy or any pitfalls that anyone may have had. I was looking at the Edexcel Applied ICT 1 A level.
    I would like to offer but dont want our results to slump by changing course
    Any comments and suggestions most welcome

2. chris1980

chris1980 New commenter

Hi
    I am HoD in a challenging school and currently off BTEC level 3 ICT in 6th form with great success. BTEC works well as it lets our students produce coursework and improve their work.
    What i am looking into is offering A Level ICT, and want to know how hard or easy or any pitfalls that anyone may have had. I was looking at the Edexcel Applied ICT 1 A level.
    I would like to offer but dont want our results to slump by changing course
    Any comments and suggestions most welcome

3. We typically get the middle and lower bands of students taking AS Applied and we get pretty good results out of it (last year every student at A2 beat their ALIS prediction). There is plenty of cope for drafting and redrafting, but the Y12 units particularly are quite essay heavy and there is a bit of a learning curve in terms of exactly what the exam board want. That combined with the threat of inconsistent moderation has made this year an interesting one and the specification is due to end / be renewed very shortly (one more cohort I think) - so it might be worth hanging on.

Interestingly, I'm thinking of dropping the ICT A Level in favour of a BTEC with A Level Computing for the more academic students / those who want a full A Level. I quite like the Y13 Applied ICT stuff, particularly the large project-based bits, but the Y12 can be deathly dull at times...

4. pob1888

pob1888 New commenter

Im an NQT, I done both A-Level and BTEC before going to Uni and to be honest I think the majority of the BTEC is a walk in the park and too easy, I have now taught both BTEC and A-Level and still have the same opinion. The problem is if you are to test the students properly by putting them through the A-Level A LOT of schools & colleges' results will take a hammering, which isnt good for someone like yourself who is a HoD.

5. chris1980

chris1980 New commenter

Thanks for responses, i think im going to stick with what i am doing until the new specs come out and then make a move then.

6. Edexcel has two more years to run for new entries - last lot of entriesis for a start in September 2013. AQA is dropping their course. OCR's moderation appears to be erratic from what I've heard. For Edexcel Unit 1 isn't amazing - I think there's too much writing in it personally. However, we've switched software to Serif WebPlus this year and, touch wood, students work will be better than in previous years as it is much easier to actually make the e-book. I think that Edexcel were thinking of something like Mediator for the production of the e-book tbh when the course was put together. I like the A2 stuff and most of the AS work. If they took one of the written bits out and extended the "webby" bit, I'd prefer it. I like the exams as they're a good test of skills. Having OSCA is a bonus :)
    BB

7. pob1888

pob1888 New commenter

I've been using Serif with KS3 & 4, buy sticking to dreamweaver for the KS5 groups. Serif is alrite but you would never use it in reality to make a website, usless you wanted something very basic.