1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BTEC Unit 13, Brief Assignment 2.

Discussion in 'Science' started by pink_reindeer, Jul 11, 2011.

1. pink_reindeer

pink_reindeer Occasional commenter

Does anyone have any good ideas for teaching this crime scene assignment? I can't remember the exact details of the one I wrote and it's at school. But it basically goes along the lines of read the case study of a crime scene, describe how you would process the scene and collect/package evidence, plan how you would test evidence/analyse the results, explain your results (i.e. explain how these results would help to convict).

The only problem is is that I'm having trouble finding suitable case studies/scenarios to use. I may have to have a rethink. How are other people planning this assignment?

2. shughesbio88

shughesbio88 New commenter

I'm sure it had something about actually collecting the evidence.

I'm planning on teaching them the forensic skills and then making a fake crime scene where they have to come in and use the correct methods to collect then analyse the evidence. I'm then going to get them to write a court report as though they were a SOCO, presenting how they collected and their analysis of the evidence as though they were giving it to the court.

I'm stuck on the last bit however, how to hit P6, M5 and D5 where they have to explain the role of the forensic science service in relation to the police and justice system... Any ideas?

3. For the first bit I had them analysing a fake crime scene (got the all-in-one boiler suit and filmed them so they could submit the video as evidence of the task) and filling in a report, then for the second bit they decided in which order they would analyse the evidence, and why they would choose to do things in a set order.

For the third bit they did some fingerprints, comparing the prints visually. I then got them to run a blood spatter analysis, using red food dye dropped from a pipette at 10cm height increments, so they had a "calibration curve" of sorts to be able to tell what height a blood droplet had fallen from.

They visited our local Crown Court, then did a mock trial, based around evidence from the OJ Simpson trial (the OJ trials are a gift because EVERYTHING is online, so they can show all the photos and use the prosecution and defence arguments). For the final task I got them to put together a presentation on the role of the FSS, with a view to presenting it to their MP to campaign for the retention of the FSS. It'll only be useful as a task until they close the FSS, but they had fun with it anyway.

Send me your email address if you'd like a copy of the task I wrote - it might not be suitable for your group, and it didn't get IVed, so caveat emptor and all that!

4. Orion

Orion New commenter

I just talked to them about it all as I used to be Police Officer and now also a Magistrate and they made notes and answered some questions after.
    Maybe get one or both of above in!

5. I have loads of ideas been there done that but youll need to PM me!

6. pink_reindeer

I think for the last bit, it's going to have to be theory lessons, maybe internet research. I like your presentation idea.

Thanks for the help people. Can I just ask, did you get every technique in? Did you do entomology, anthropology, odontology? glass? hair? fibres?

7. pink_reindeer

Up!! I am still stuck on getting the to look at all the techniques given in the Unit Contents. My fake crime scene has them analysing fingerprints, hairs and fibres and chemical powders. I also have lessons planned on blood spatters, DNA extraction, casting a footprint in plaster of paris. But I'm not sure how to go about teaching all the other things. have an anthropology activity, I have info on entemology and odontology. I think I may get them to research and present information on those. What do you think? I'll deal with Brief Assignment 3 later on. It's so difficult because I'm not actually teaching the course - just writing it because that's what my degree is in!!?