1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BTEC Travel and Tourism Level 2

Discussion in 'Geography' started by sianelin1976, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Im also teaching this for the first time and only found out 3 weeks before the end of last term. I have a scheme of learning + resources + assignments for Unit 1 but that's it. I'll be willing to share all my resources. Please can someone help me out with core units 2 + 3.
    Haven't yet decided which other units I'll do
    would really appreciate the help too. + willing to devise / share other units with others if I can have some help too :)
    thegeogteacher@gmail.com

2. Hello did anyone manage to find any assignment briefs for Unit 2 that they would be willing to share?

I have them for Unit 1 and 3!

3. Why not attend our upcoming CPD event- Subject Knowledge Update: Destination Dubai
    Subject Knowledge Updates are a series of evening sessions each focusing on a different theme, covering the basic information for teaching that topic and providing up to date case study material and resources. The next session in this series looks at Travel and Tourism: Destination Dubai.
    The DfE Schools White Paper 2010 The importance of Teaching highlights a need for subject knowledge to be included in CPD: “It is also vital that we give teachers the opportunity to deepen their subject knowledge and renew the passion which brought them into the classroom”.
    This Destination Dubai Subject Knowledge Update will:
    • Provide up to date and new case study material and information.
    • Give an overview of the key facts and information that should be highlighted when teaching tourist destination evolution.
    • Help teachers who have not taught tourism development for a while, or never studied it, to teach it effectively and confidently.
    • Provide some resources, case studies and suggested teaching and learning activities for you to take away for use at KS3, KS4 and KS5.
    • Encourage enthusiasm to teach important travel and tourism concepts and give ideas of how to link these with other related geographical topics and themes.
    About the session
    The substantial growth and development of tourism-related activities clearly marks tourism as one of the most remarkable economic and social phenomena of the past century. For example, the number of international arrivals shows an evolution from a mere 25 million international arrivals in 1950 to over 900 million in 2008, corresponding to an average annual growth rate of 6.6 per cent. Today travel and tourism is one of the world's largest industries, employing approximately 231 million people and generating over 10 per cent of world GDP. Indeed, world travel and tourism is expected to generate in excess of US$13 trillion over the coming decade.
    A destination is the place where a journey finally ends. It can be a town, city or resort, a tourist attraction such as a major theme park or a much larger region such as a National Park. Most locations around the world contain a place or a region which is regarded as being a tourist destination. Destinations are places where tourism develops. Tourist destinations are themselves influenced by the prevailing social, cultural, environmental, economic and political conditions. It is fundamental to the concept of the tourist destination that tourism is generally not the sole economic activity or function within the area identified as a destination. The challenge facing those responsible for the destination’s management is to try and ensure that tourism developments integrate with the other social and economic activities of the particular area so that future development will be sustainable.
    Previously viewed in tourism terms as little more than a duty free stopover, Dubai today has become a highly acclaimed destination offering an outstanding range of facilities and services. Dubai’s significance as a global destination stems from the fact that it can be viewed from two main perspectives. It is not just a simple holiday destination for leisure travellers; it is an important commercial, trading and business centre as well.
    Links to A2 / AS Levels
    • OCR AS Geography Unit F762 Managing Change in Human Environments
    • AQA A2 Geography Unit GEOG3 World Cities Option
    • EDEXCEL A2 Geography Unit 4 Geographical Research Option 6 Leisure & Tourism
    • OCR AS Travel & Tourism Unit G722 Travel Destinations
    • EDEXCEL A2 Travel & Tourism Unit 7 Responsible Tourism
    • Ideas from this session could also be adapted to teach KS3 and KS4.
    About the presenter
    Mr John D. Smith is both an A-level and IGCSE Principal Examiner for CIE and he is also OCR’s Chief Examiner for A-level Travel and Tourism. A former Head of Geography, he currently lectures at Liverpool Community College. He has co-authored IGCSE and A-level text books to support delivery of the Travel and Tourism curriculum and has designed various training materials to support teaching and learning in the subject. He has travelled to Dubai each year since 1999 and has taken student groups to the destination for both investigative field work and work experience.
    Details
    Topic: Travel and Tourism: Destination Dubai
    Date: Monday 12 March 2012
    Venue: Royal Geographical Society with IBG, 1 Kensington Gore, London SW7 2AR
    Time: 5pm – 7pm (registration from 4.30pm for a prompt start). Refreshments will be available.
    Format: 90mins lecture style followed by 30mins of discussion and questions.
    There are 20 places available on this course.
    Please note: this course is for teachers only.

Costs
    Members (School Members / Fellows / ECT Members / Young Geographers) £30 inc VAT
    Non Members £40 inc VAT
    Booking information
    To book please return the booking form (found at http://www.rgs.org/teachercpd ) and your payment to Claire Wheeler, Education Department, RGS-IBG, 1 Kensington Gore, London, SW7 2AR. T: 020 7591 3053 F: 020 7591 3001 E: c.wheeler@rgs.org
    Please note that that payment must be received before the event or the place may be withdrawn.
    No refunds will be given for cancellations less than 3 weeks before the event.

4. Has anyone got any assignment briefs for unit 2? I'm really stuck. Any help much appreciated

Thanks

thegeogteacher@gmail.com

5. You may like to check out our free resources section at www.tandtpublishing.co.uk. We also have a new Fun Exercises for Level 2 Leisure, Travel & Tourism eBook to download under the 'BTEC Level 2 eBooks' section.
    Best regards Ray Youell, Editorial Director, Travel & Tourism Publishing Ltd.

6. Hi,
    I am for one year working with the Travel and Tourism Department, not my first subject, and they are teaching BTEC Travel and Tourism First Level 2.
    I would be ever so grateful if anyone would be willing to share any Schemes of Work/Assignment Briefs/Resources etc to help me prepare
    Unit 2: Understanding Customer Service in Travel and Tourism.
    Anything or any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

7. for teaching that topic and providing up to date case study material and resources.[​IMG]

8. Hi, only just noticed your request. In case you still need anything, please email me on cmaris@efc.ac.uk. I'll send whatever I have. You may need to tweak dates etc.
    Thanks
    Claudia

9. Hi,
    I was just wondering whether you found out any resources/schemes of work in regards to Unit 2 Customer Service that you would be willing to share. I have never taught BTEC before and Travel and Tourism is not my first subject, finding it quite difficult to source material.
    All help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

10. Did you ever get any SOW for any of the units? I'm in a similar boat this year and struggling !

Cheers

11. Hi I have been trying to find Assignments or Scheme of Work for Unit 9 Holiday Planning as I have recently come from Industry and this is my first year teaching . As such any help I can get would be much appreciated . I notice that a lot of people in the Forum have asked for material but not sure if anyone was able to get anything. I'll drop you an email and see if you are able to help

many thanks

cd0612

12. helendavealex

helendavealex New commenter

Hi I appreciate it's a while since you posted about T&T but I have to produce a Unit 3 assignmnet for my boss who is seeing our EV shortly! My pupils are barely scraping Level 1 let alone Level 2, so it's taking me ages. Did anyone let you have a Unit 3 assignmnet for Btec First Certificate which I could look at or does anyone out there have anything I can tweak?

Thanks

13. Hi,

I am a new teacher in T&T as well and I am trying to find a scheme of work for level 2 customer service (unit 2) from September 2010. Does anybody has a similar one that I can use or adapt?

Regarding units mentioned above unit 3 and 9, unfortunately I have nothing for those two.

It would much appreciated if anybody could email me any scheme for unit 2. Thank you so much.

maiamaro@yahoo.com