1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BTEC science for home educated pupil

Discussion in 'Science' started by robyn147, Mar 14, 2012.

1. I've just picked up a tutee. I normally do maths and GCSE / A -level science but this child is apparently doing a BTEC in science. I'm doing his maths and his mum wants his science as well.
    He is off school due to "issues". He has told me he has no exams in science as it is coursework. Apparently it's writing down the answers in class (so he told me[​IMG]) He is in year 11 so finishes soon. His mum is contacting the school to find out more but she did not know he was doing BTEC.
    I have no idea about BTEC or how it works - especially if he is not at school. I do not know the board yet.
    Any clues / advice / knowledge about BTEC would be good - I'm off on Google now.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I've just picked up a tutee. I normally do maths and GCSE / A -level science but this child is apparently doing a BTEC in science. I'm doing his maths and his mum wants his science as well.
    He is off school due to "issues". He has told me he has no exams in science as it is coursework. Apparently it's writing down the answers in class (so he told me[​IMG]) He is in year 11 so finishes soon. His mum is contacting the school to find out more but she did not know he was doing BTEC.
    I have no idea about BTEC or how it works - especially if he is not at school. I do not know the board yet.
    Any clues / advice / knowledge about BTEC would be good - I'm off on Google now.

3. BTEC only has one exam board - EdExcel (it's their version of applied science).

The specification states certain things which must be included in each assignment, then each school will write an assignment for each unit.

The assignments will state what needs to be done, to pass, merit or distinction standard.

In an ideal world Btec is aimed at students who can learn and produce work independently...

...Unfortunately it is generally taken by students who are the least independent.

Instead of being given the assignment, pointed in the right direction of books/websites/resources and told to complete it, it often ends up being "Fill in the blanks of the worksheet", or "Copy this from the board" etc... From the sounds of your post "We write down the answers" I suspect they are being given the assignment, then spoon fed EXACTLY what they need to do to pass the course. To help him finish his mum needs to contact the school, find out what assignments he is missing, get a copy of the assignments, then he can do them at home. Although he may struggle with this if he has previously been taught by the "Assignment says you need to discuss the reactivity of group 1 elements" copy this from the board "Group 1 elements get more reactive as you go....etc etc" method...

Hope this helps

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Helps a lot. I've read the parent's guide to BTEC but did not realise only Edexcel did it. Sounds straightforward tuition.

6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Try and get hold of the assignemnt cover sheets for each assignment. They should have the criteria for pass, merit and distinction on them. Then they need to make sure they get at least the pass for everything. It may well be he school has a worksheet for each pass criterion such as fill in the blanks, do this diagram, answer this question but it should be possible to meet a pass criterion just be writing prose on A4 or drawing a diagram.

How much work has he already done? If the answer is zero then he will have 15 assignemnts for one Btec and at least another 10 (possibly 15) for the second!

If you pm me I will happily send you the cover sheets we use. You will also need someone to verify the work, usually each school will have someone who has done the course and met the standards. It's not me in my school!