1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BTEC science 2016

Discussion in 'Science' started by Goat2, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Goat2

Goat2 New commenter

Having to finally change to this from Applied Science QCF. It seems limited to a specific career Biomedical/Forensics whereas my students were going on to a range of pure/applied science degrees, apprenticeships etc. Those of you who have just completed the course where have you students managed to go, is it limiting their degree choices?
    And how many teaching hours a week have you managed to get SMT to give you?
    Cheers
    Goat

2. SMasood

SMasood New commenter

I'm not sure what you mean by the Biomedical/Forensics specificity. Forensics is a different Level 3 BTEC qualification with a lot of overlap with the Level 3 Applied Science (hence you cannot have students completing both Applied Science and Forensics), and as far as I'm aware the only time they had a biomedical angle was for the old BTEC. We've been delivering the new Applied Science BTEC for a couple of years now and the content is weighted more towards chemistry and biology but there is a hefty bit of physics too. We do the Extended Certificate (4 units, 3 of which are mandatory) with our optional unit being biology based, but it doesn't have to be.
    That said, to answer your question, we have a few students going into apprenticeships with a big Pharma (who happens to have a building across the road from us), or going into nursing and midwifery courses but for the most part they end up in a path that doesn't include science. The fact that that we only do the Extended Certificate certainly limits degree choices, but it's what works for our students. We get 9 hours over two weeks to deliver the 4 units over two years.... and that's not nearly enough time when you consider the GLH required.