1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BTEC sample

Discussion in 'Business studies' started by johnblack, Mar 3, 2011.

1. johnblack

johnblack New commenter

Does my BTEC sample have to be from this current academic year? Pupils haven't finished unit 2 but have finished unit 1 which is assessed and IVed. Can I submit unit one even though it was finished last year?
    (I have handed in ones from the past which were started in year 10 and finished in year 11)

2. johnblack

johnblack New commenter

Does my BTEC sample have to be from this current academic year? Pupils haven't finished unit 2 but have finished unit 1 which is assessed and IVed. Can I submit unit one even though it was finished last year?
    (I have handed in ones from the past which were started in year 10 and finished in year 11)

3. going grey quickly

going grey quickly New commenter

each cohort needs to be sampled once during their course. Therefore, if your year 11 students have already been EV'd then they do not have to be EV'd again.

As to when the unit was started/completed it is up to you which unit you send, but you need to remember that it should not be the same unit each year.For example, if last year you had unit 1 EV'd, then this year have unit 2 EV'd.

4. Yes it should be, however, we submitted some from the previous year a couple of years ago and passed but were advised not to do it again. We submitted the current year's work at the same time though.

I haven't checked but I don't think you have to submit whole units. If you have only completed part of a unit then that's all you can send off. This happened to us last year - we sent off half of a retailing unit because that's where we were up to in the course.

5. Yes it should be, however, we submitted some from the previous year a couple of years ago and passed but were advised not to do it again. We submitted the current year's work at the same time though.

I haven't checked but I don't think you have to submit whole units. If you have only completed part of a unit then that's all you can send off. This happened to us last year - we sent off half a retailing unit because that's where we were up to in the course.

6. oops - managed to post twice!

7. johnblack

johnblack New commenter

Thanks I forgot that you didn't have to send off a full unit thats okay then[​IMG]

8. I think you'll find that the rules have changed this year with the introduction of the Lead IV. The verifiers are asking for complete units now (you are right to say that in the past they would accept part units provided they covered a range of criteria) as not all subjects are being asked for. Our school has just received the requests (and I believe it was also covered at a recent Quality Nominee Network meeting I attended) stating that complete units now need to be submitted. There is also an increased requirement of IV'd work needed - in the past just 50% had to be IV'd whereas the minimum now is 75% and if sending off minimum sample size of 4 learners pieces of work they are asking for all to be IV'd.
    I would recommend that you speak to you standards verifier and check directly with them what is expected as I know mine are expecting what I've stated above.

9. Welshwoman you are correct that the rules have changed. My understanding is that every unit and every assignment now has to be IV'd. However, what if on your normal programme of study you had not completed a whole unit of work by the time NSS came around? In this case it would only be possible to send off what you had done. At our large cente this would not happen but I can see how in a small centre where a short BTEC course was completed over 2 years with a few different teachers it is possible that a whole unit would not have been completed. - I'm posting as I don't know. I've re read through the quality docs and the lead IV docs but cannot find the answer!! What do you think?

I would certainly agree to check with the standards verifier.

10. badgerbunny

badgerbunny New commenter

Hang on.....
    I thought we didn;t have to send of to EV anymore if we passed the lead internal; verifier thing?
    I have had no EV contact me yet though usually I mine has been in touch by now.

11. Then you probably don't need to send them. In our centre the only subjects being EV'd are the ones where the Lead IV's failed the test (have 15 different PAT groups - only 3 being EV'd) so suspecting that this year they may limit the EV process to those subject (but only a guess and as all first samples have to be completed by April 31st they would be running out of time to get them within the timeframe now!)
    The EV process will give Lead IV accreditation to those that failed the online test if sample is good enough first time so if you passed you probably won't be hearing from them.