1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BTEC Performing Arts or GCSE Drama in new post

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by MrsMint, Feb 27, 2012.

1. I am very happy to have secured a Head of Drama position starting in September. I now have to decide what to offer the new year 10s and year 9s (new in September) in terms of drama options. Previously at the school, the students have followed BTEC Performing Arts and this has suited them well as many are not necessarily very academically able in terms of literacy. I think that The BTEC Performing Arts is a great course (if you can cope with the paperwork)that I also teach in my current school, it is practical and very similar to actor training. I do have some reservations about the new spec with the interview/audition unit .

The new school are very keen for me to offer GCSE drama due to the lessening faith in the credibility of the BTEC. They would like to offer this as an additional option.

I think that the Edexcel GCSE drama is a good course and I have taught it before, but not since the latest spec came out for 2009. I am also concerned about this option as I do not know my new classes and I know that the written response can be tough. I have also heard increasingly worrying comments about Edexcel moderating very harshly.

Please would any drama teachers that have delivered GCSE in the past couple of years advise me whether by honouring the school's wish to offer GCSE Drama (including year 9 students) I am at risk of a difficult time with low ability students ( I know I will need to plan accordingly in any case)

Thought and Feedback please,

Many Thanks,

Mrs Mint

2. I am very happy to have secured a Head of Drama position starting in September. I now have to decide what to offer the new year 10s and year 9s (new in September) in terms of drama options. Previously at the school, the students have followed BTEC Performing Arts and this has suited them well as many are not necessarily very academically able in terms of literacy. I think that The BTEC Performing Arts is a great course (if you can cope with the paperwork)that I also teach in my current school, it is practical and very similar to actor training. I do have some reservations about the new spec with the interview/audition unit .

The new school are very keen for me to offer GCSE drama due to the lessening faith in the credibility of the BTEC. They would like to offer this as an additional option.

I think that the Edexcel GCSE drama is a good course and I have taught it before, but not since the latest spec came out for 2009. I am also concerned about this option as I do not know my new classes and I know that the written response can be tough. I have also heard increasingly worrying comments about Edexcel moderating very harshly.

Please would any drama teachers that have delivered GCSE in the past couple of years advise me whether by honouring the school's wish to offer GCSE Drama (including year 9 students) I am at risk of a difficult time with low ability students ( I know I will need to plan accordingly in any case)

Thought and Feedback please,

Many Thanks,

Mrs Mint