1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BTEC PE - Up coming challenges

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by Ryanbradshaw29, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Hi all,

Quick question (that may require a long answer!! But bullet points would be ok!)

What are the main challenges we face with BTEC PE over the next few years?

I see BTEC Level 3 is having a big shake up. What are the issues with that?

Anything at Level 2?

Any pointers would be grand!!

Many thanks,

2. JohnAdamsonOCR

JohnAdamsonOCR New commenter

Hi Ryan,

One of the main reforms being brought into L3 VQs (known as Tech Level and Applied General quals) is the introduction of external assessment.

Level 2 VQs (soon to be renamed Tech Awards) are likely to be reformed for September 2017 but new specifications are not yet drafted.

I'd (shamelessly) ask you to consider OCR's alternatives to BTEC, the Cambridge Technicals. Other boards such as City and Guilds also have alternatives for Sport at Level 3.

For you (like many others) I'm sure the main points you will want to consider are:

1. Is the qualification valid i.e. will it attract KS5 performance points from DfE?
    2. Will they attract UCAS points?
    3. What pathways will be available? Do those pathways suit my students?
    4. Which stakeholders support the qualification and have assisted in writing it?
    5. What support is the exam board offering in terms of resources and training?
    6. Does the assessment model suit your teaching and your learners? Is it flexible enough?

There are probably lots more questions I haven't added but this will no doubt give you food for thought.

John