1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BTEC NQF Applied Science Level 1/2

Discussion in 'Science' started by nedchester, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Are any schools still carrying on with these qualifications?

There seems a big move now for schools to do GCSE.

I still think the BTEC courses are still good ones for the less able especially the level 1 course which is more accessible to these students.

2. ananke

ananke New commenter

I an starting a new school in September so I don't have much say (yet) in how they run their Science. If I were to run the course, I would be tempted to do the level 1 certificate (covering the "single science" until Easter in Y10 and the level 2 Application from then. The Application seems a bit easier to achieve a level 2 pass in my experience of running the courses for two years. Starting with the level 1 course could "train" the students into handing in assignments on time. They could only achieve one recognised level 2 pass like this though, which for many would be a great achievement.

It does of course depend upon how Science fits in to the whole school approach to progress 8 and how the ebac and non-ebac slots are filled in the options. Both the science NQF Btec qualifications score in the non-ebac slots, but they may be filled with other subjects and/or vocational qualifications.