1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BTEC Nationals level 3 Information Technology (2016 and 2017)

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Caymem, Aug 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caymem

Caymem New commenter

2. Caymem

Caymem New commenter

Anyone got any tips on the best way to teach this please

3. elder_cat

elder_cat Established commenter

If you're set on BTEC, then here are a few suggestions for what they are worth, based on my previous experience

The website for the qualification has the specification for the award(s), as well as a guide on suggested delivery, also sample assessments you can look at.

Pearson publish resources in text book form, but they are not cheap as chips. I never used them when I taught BTEC in FE, although in the 6 years since I left they may have changed and you may feel they represent good value for money - you'll have to make that call yourself. You may also find there are resources available from TES, which might give you the 'bare bones', and you could then add/change/alter the content as required.

First off, decide what level you are going to work at, eg Certificate, Diploma, etc. That will determine what units you have to consider for the specific award. I assume you have already seen that the different levels have different combinations of units - mandatory, optional, internally assessed, externally assessed. Make sure you have the necessary wherewithal to cater for whatever choice of Optional units you allow your students to choose from. Although there may well be a long list of units students can 'choose', it might be prudent to come up with a shortlist of options they can choose from, based on the experience and ability of whoever is teaching the students. Allowing them to choose an area which nobody has taught before, and nobody has any experience in, means someone is going to have to learn that topic from scratch, and invariably will end up working hand-to-mouth to deliver the lessons.

The Delivery Guide will give also you some ideas on how and why you might want to prioritise delivery of particular units, depending on whether you're offering it as a one year or two year award. You might need to favour specific units in order to ensure the students are ready for external assessments.

There are also examples of assessments, both Internal and External, you can look at. You don't necessarily have to use them as they are - and probably wouldn't - but they can give you some pointers on how to structure any internal ones you want to put together, and some idea of what to expect from, and therefore cover, towards the external ones.

Make sure you have covered the requirement for employer contacts - the Delivery Guide has more information on that. Best not to procrastinate and postpone doing it - it may take longer than you thought to sort out.

4. Caymem

Caymem New commenter

Would u suggest this course to be the best option if not what would u suggest as an alternative. I want to do this as a two year course and I don't mind buying the textbooks if it helps in the delivery of the course. We have 4 hours a week which should be enough time to teach the course shouldn't it. I want to do a course as a extended diploma and when I plan I need to make sure that I look at the units that are mandatory and ones that internally and externally assessed hopefully it will make up some of the units for year one.

In regards to the units that are optional shell i write a list of units that can be taught with the skills we have in the school and also the ones that can be taught with the software we have, then she'll I let the staff pick the units they want to teach or let students pick the units they want to learn what is better.

I will read the delivery guide and use the sample stuff they give to help me to start with.

5. elder_cat

elder_cat Established commenter

On the optimistic assumption that this isn't just another one of those silly troll posts......

Whether or not it's the 'best option' should be based on a combination of:

1. Your students ability levels.
    2. The competence and availability of staff to teach them the required subjects.

I have no idea about either, so you'll need to answer that question yourself.

When I last taught it, the students were in full time FE, so they did 16 hours a week over two years. BTEC Awards have a set number of Guided Learning Hours, and I believe the Extended Diploma is down as needing 1080 GLH.

I think you need to take the time to study the BTEC specification in detail, because I don't believe it's the simple solution to your problem that you appear to think it is.

6. Caymem

Caymem New commenter

Ill think it all through and discuss with department Friday during the meeting.

7. NeitherMouseNorSock

NeitherMouseNorSock New commenter

Of course you will. Please let us know how your imaginary meeting in the middle of the summer holidays goes. #Issues

Dkeith and Stiltskin like this.
  8. Caymem

Caymem New commenter

Will do

9. gigaswitch1

gigaswitch1 Occasional commenter

@elder_cat have you not noticed they are teaching level 3 to year 10? Might be one of them troll posts

10. Caymem

Caymem New commenter

Do you think level 3 is a bit too much for year 10/11 I can teach level 2 instead if you would prefer?

11. gigaswitch1

gigaswitch1 Occasional commenter

You do what you think is right. Not up to me to judge. Make sure you can cover the GLH

12. Caymem

Caymem New commenter

OK thanks and don't you worry I have planned all the lessons to make sure we cover all the guided learning hours required for the course, it was hard to so but I got there in the end.

13. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

They are not a teacher. Can't work out if intentionally trolling or something else

14. Caymem

Caymem New commenter

That's your opinion.

15. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

A judgement based on fact/knowledge.

16. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.