1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BTEC National Diploma Applied Science Unit 9 Informatics

Discussion in 'Science' started by AbbiesMum, May 19, 2009.

1. I'm looking at whether to offer this unit next year, but am unsure from reading the spec where to start! [​IMG] Does anyone teach it? If so, can you offer me any guidance on assessment etc?
    Many thanks,
    Lisa.

2. I am teaching informatics for the first time this year and I have approached it in this way
    P1: Brief description of aims and applications of Informatics in Medicine, Forensics, Agriculture, Biotechnology etc

D1: Discussion about advantages and the advantages of the points listed in (P1) above.
    P2: Database design in MS Access
    M2: Query design in MS Access

3. I am teaching informatics for the first time this year and I have approached it in this way
    P1: Brief description of aims and applications of Informatics in Medicine, Forensics, Agriculture, Biotechnology etc

D1: Discussion about advantages and the advantages of the points listed in (P1) above.
    P2: Database design in MS Access
    M2: Query design in MS Access
    D2: Discusssion about different types of biological databases, types of data stored in them and their uses.

Sorry D2 was missing

4. We've taught this for the last couple of years but I'm replacing it
    with another of the 30GLH maths units in September. In part this is
    because our students could do with extra maths support, but mainly
    because in both years the students have hated the unit so much! I
    thought they would prefer it over maths but I'm not sure I could have
    been more wrong! I think some of our problems have been down to
    timetabling issues - a 3 hour stretch in the computer room every week
    with less than enthusiastic students can't be easy for tutor or
    students.

The first year we ran Informatics I used a periodic table spreadsheet & used that to
    link in to U1 Fundamentals of Science LO. Students
    had to set up a mini database using info from the spreadhseet &
    query it to find information about trends in groups & periods. It should have been fairly straightforward but!!! I have considered using BLAST but our students didn't have enough of a
    grounding in the science to really understand it, and our ICT tutor thought it was too complicated.

One
    thing our tutor did was to set up a crime scene scenario & create a
    spreadsheet of evidence collected
    at the crime scene / police investigation (physical evidence, witness
    statements, information about suspects) & got the students to
    create an access
    database, describe the rationale for setting it up & explain how
    they set up queries to find different bits of information. That seemed
    to work OK, although the tutor was frustrated that the students *thought* they understood databases when they clearly did not.

5. I had a different experience with my students as they found BLAST SEARCH interesting and easy to perform. Here are some of their comments
    "I think that BLAST is simple and easy to use. it is helpful to scientists as they can just put their sequence into the box on the BLAST site and find out in seconds what type of DNA they have."
    "We have learnt many informative things from online LMIS and BLAST Search. The things we have learnt are very useful as it will help us in future such as research. "
    I linked BLAST search and Queries to Laboratory Information Management system (LMIS) in Unit 2.
    P/S: I have a Science and IT background!

6. Hi Lisa
    How have you got on with teaching this ? I am planning to teach this in January and feel abit like yourself - not sure where to start!
    I was thinking of writing the assignments around the police DNA database. I have also ordered the recommended reading so hopefully that will help. What did you use for your source of information for this module ?
    I have an IT background and the biology parts of this module are 'alien' at the moment!
    I am happy to share assignments with you when I have written them

Sonal

7. hi, i am thinking of teaching this next year, but it just looks so complicated i dont know where to start ! i was wondering have you written the assignments for this unit and what resources dd you use? any help would be really appreciated !

thank you

8. I am wondering if you can forward any resources e.g. notes or assignment berifes for unit 9 Informatics. Thank you

9. Hi Ikhan
    any luck with delivering unit 9. I am thinking about delivering as from next half term. Thank you

10. leemurphy1

leemurphy1 New commenter

Hey guys, could anybody send me some assignment briefs please? Just need an idea for me and my tutor as im the only one in the group taking this unit. Doing A2 ICT so have good database skills - just need somewhere to start with this unit 9.