1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

btec national, any advice?

Discussion in 'Science' started by crabapple99, Jul 19, 2011.

1. We are starting to teach btec national in applied science in September. I am worried that we don't have the resources, teamwork, entry requirements, etc to make a success of this. If anyone taught it last year, I would be very grateful to hear of your experiences.

2. We are starting to teach btec national in applied science in September. I am worried that we don't have the resources, teamwork, entry requirements, etc to make a success of this. If anyone taught it last year, I would be very grateful to hear of your experiences.

3. Get onto the edexcel website and check out what is there..... you will need to register a Lead Internal Verifier for your centre - this is the person who 'moderates' (verifies) your work and they will need to register for training and then do an online verification in order to gain accreditation.
    I recommend buying into a scheme - we have used Harper Collins - we bought the assignment package (electronic format) which has all the assignments/help sheets/lesson plans etc. We bought a student book for each teacher, but have otherwise relied on existing texts and on-line resources.
    The key to success is in good organisation. Does anyone else at your school do BTEC - if so, ask them how they organise it (in terms of issuing assignments and verifying work)
    The first 3 modules are very similar to core science GCSE - so you should find resource for these easily - but they key to success is to remember that before you issue an assignment, you need to teach the content.
    Check out the other thread about how to manage workload - there's good advice in there too and if you need more info PM me
    HTH

4. freshfriesan

freshfriesan New commenter

coule you please tell this to the people i work for.... spent the past 2 years doing this with y9 in 1 year, im sure you will agree there are some difficult scientific concepts, but its ok the solution was found in photocopying ho hum