1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BTEC Music New Spec Assistance required if someone wouldn't mind

Discussion in 'Music' started by piano_girl, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Funnily enough I am just marking the work from my students for unit 1 and I too am wondering just how much detail they need to give in order to count as a description. I have read the example assignment in the back of the BTEC study skills booklet and that helps a bit - however, as you say, it is hard to quantify the difference between describing and explaining. I have asked mine to create a leaflet for the careers library about the job of heir choice (within the performance area) and then they need to describe how it links to other performance and non-performance related jobs. I have done the OSCA2 training and there were no sample assignments from those units to look at so that didn't help a great deal ........

I too am in a single person department so can appreciate how hard it is when you don't have anyone else to discuss these things with. I'd be happy to swap email address so we can send each other examples of work if that helps?

2. Hi
    Thanks for replying. That would be really useful if you
    don't mind. I did have a look at the examples in the back of the book and I have to say that I was unsure of the music journalist one in particular and how the MERIT was achieved. I could tell the example student had explained the skills needed to be a journalist and the areas of the job but in terms of explaining links to the other areas I really wasn't sure quite how she got the merit. Maybe I am being too harse on mineand they have all done really well. Maybe I am just being mean. I have to say I do have a tendancy of doing that after GCSE music work
    Can I ask what the OSCA II training is as I haven't really
    done any of that before????
    My email address is saskins27@blueyonder.co.uk

Thanks
    Sarah

3. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

For the certificate, units 1 and 2 are half units (worth 5 instead of 10). Those are the compulsary ones.