1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BTEC Media - how long does it take, and what type of student?

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by elliej, Oct 13, 2009.

1. I currently do WJEC GCSE Media in mixed ability classes, but have been asked to look at BTEC for the lower ability, and fast track GCSE for the higher ability. Can anybody please tell me how long it takes to teach the BTEC that is equivalent to 2 GCSE's, and what type of student it is best for? I have waded through the Edexcel site but come away rather confused!

Thanks in advance.

2. Anybody??

3. It is really is laughable that someone has suggested the BTEC media for 'lower ability'. The BTEC is totally inclusive if group size and resources are not an issue. However, realistically, if you use FFTD for tracking and targets; someone with an FFTD target grade of a D/E/F/G still has to achieve an equivalent C grade overall (ie for each of the three units) to get a Pass: not easy by easy means. Given that its oriented towards Vocational and independent learning it makes your job even tougher but no less rewarding. You can run the First Certificate in either 12 months or over 2 years depending on timetabling. Any way, good luck and have fun: BTEC media is fantastic!

please check out...
    www.youtube.com/thatteachershow

4. apologies for the awful grammer btw tired and need a pick me up! [​IMG]

5. Hi Ellie,
    I find that the BTEC is easier for the lower ability students to get a C than they would at GCSE. Students who are FFTD D and E's have managed to get Passes (C's) in the last few years. However I would say that there is a lot of paperwork involved in BTEC and you do need more access to resources than the GCSE - so I wouldn't advise doing it with large classes. To get a distinction is challenging even for the most able of students but getting a pass is easier for lower ability students as long as they complete all the work set. I wouldn't rule out BTEC for your higher ability students as they will enjoy it just as much. I'm currently teaching it to 74 mixed ability students across 10 and 11 and it's hard work keeping on top of the paperwork ! I have recently swapped from the BTEC First Certificate (2 GCSEs) to the BTEC First Diploma (4 GCSEs) which I have found can be done (albeit with lots of hard work) on 2 lessons a week over 2 years. However I would advise trying the BTEC First Certificate first and seeing how you get on. I also teach GCSE Film Studies to Year 11 over one year to higher ability students and that seems to work. Re the type of students I would say it depends what they want to do after school - for A Levels in Film / Media - the GCSE makes more sense but for BTEC National Diploma / Employment in the sector - the BTEC is better. Our local sixth form doesn't accept BTEC so our students currently get both over 3 years. We teach GCSE Film Studies in Year 9, then BTEC Diploma across 10 and 11. It also helps teaching BTEC in Year 11 as there is one less exam for them to think of !
    Hope this helps. If you need any more info just message back.
    Aby

6. Just a quick question - can they do a BTEC First in 6 Months? Obviously depending on Timetabling - at the moment I would have 4 lessons a week.

7. The students might be able to but it'll take you about a year to do the mountain of paperwork that Edexcel expect.