1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BTEC Level 3 Nationals in Music and Music Technology

Discussion in 'Music' started by emma_watson225, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Hi all!
    Hope you have enjoyed the end of the summer holidays. I was hoping for some help with regards to the topic post.
    I'm an NQT, and in charge of teaching Unit 33 (Solo Music Performance Skills) and the second half of Unit 19 (Music and Society). To be honest, I don't know where to start!! This is my first encounter with the BTEC and, although I am feeling completely confident with my A Level course, I am less happy about delivering this course.
    Until I can get myself onto a course (fingers crossed), anyone have any suggestions with regards to books and/or lesson ideas. I also need to do a lot of written work in every lesson (part of the new academy's initiatives).
    Apologies for not being any more specific!!

2. Hi all!
    Hope you have enjoyed the end of the summer holidays. I was hoping for some help with regards to the topic post.
    I'm an NQT, and in charge of teaching Unit 33 (Solo Music Performance Skills) and the second half of Unit 19 (Music and Society). To be honest, I don't know where to start!! This is my first encounter with the BTEC and, although I am feeling completely confident with my A Level course, I am less happy about delivering this course.
    Until I can get myself onto a course (fingers crossed), anyone have any suggestions with regards to books and/or lesson ideas. I also need to do a lot of written work in every lesson (part of the new academy's initiatives).
    Apologies for not being any more specific!!

3. 1. Speak to your HoD, they're paid to help you with this.

2. Go onto the Edexcel website and pull up the specs for the units you mention,these will give you information about what you need to cover, how they should be assessed and will even give sample assignments. (The are also some for the Solo Music Performance in the pack in my resources but the unit is entwined with Music Performance Techniques so I don't think it'll be much help)

3. Find out which 'half' of Music and Society you're teaching. There are 3 Grading Criteria, which are you covering with your delivery? Again, you'll need to speak to your HoD and collaborate with the teacher doing the other 'half' or this will be confusing for you and the students alike.

4. I can't really give you 'lesson ideas', although your HoD probably can as they know your facilities, curriculum plan and skillset. Just read the spec and then design the course as you would with any other subject you were given.

5. The specs also offer ideas of reading materials if it's books you're after.

4. Thanks JennyMus for the tips :) I'll havea chat with my HoD tomorrow. I'll be back if I have any further questions!!! Good luck for the new term x