1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BTEC level 3 Health and Social Care

Discussion in 'Social sciences' started by Lesley54, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Hi all
    Is anyone teaching BTEC level 3 Health and Social Care. We have started it this academic year. We are leaving AQA because we have had such problems with inconsistant moderation of coursework.
    I am teaching units, 1, 2 and 6. I'm just coming to the end of unit 1 and I'm not confident in how much depth is needed. I have been creating one-one and group role plays, which I have videoed for the students to assess/evaluate. The problem with communication is there are only so many ways they can say whether eye contact was good or not and say how they would improve it!
    Our subject leader has done the Osca online and we can submit our marks. Were not sure if its a good or bad thing, it would be nice for someone to see the standard of our work.
    Don't you just get sick of ever changing courses. In 10 years this is my fourth change teaching Health and Social Care.
    Any advice support would be gratefully received.

2. Hi all
    Is anyone teaching BTEC level 3 Health and Social Care. We have started it this academic year. We are leaving AQA because we have had such problems with inconsistant moderation of coursework.
    I am teaching units, 1, 2 and 6. I'm just coming to the end of unit 1 and I'm not confident in how much depth is needed. I have been creating one-one and group role plays, which I have videoed for the students to assess/evaluate. The problem with communication is there are only so many ways they can say whether eye contact was good or not and say how they would improve it!
    Our subject leader has done the Osca online and we can submit our marks. Were not sure if its a good or bad thing, it would be nice for someone to see the standard of our work.
    Don't you just get sick of ever changing courses. In 10 years this is my fourth change teaching Health and Social Care.
    Any advice support would be gratefully received.

3. Some things I have done with communication is put students in pairs, one has a picture and has to describe it to the other without using words.
    This leads to interesting animal noises and gesticulation - you can follow up with a discussion.

Depending on the mix of students you have you can do the same but with a language that isn't English in that case you can show that the paralynguistics can mean more than language if you don't understand a language.
    Get them again in pairs to read from a card with one sitting and one standing - how do they feel about it? Does the standing person sound more authative? Why?
    Get hold of some surgical masks - how does that change communication? Can you tell if someone is smiling with a mask on?

I love teaching the equality and diversity section - I have an advantage in that I have a physical and a learnig disability.
    I put titles on the board
    disabled and able bodied
    The group then has to put words they associate with each. Under disability you get words like "sad" and "wheelchair"

I then ask them if they think I'm sad, and why they associate those words. Have a look at Dr Who - on the face of it not discriminatory - but why do only the villans have disabilities?

One thing I would love to use in class is video of Laurence Clark - or bertter do a class trip. If you have never heard of him google is your friend. He has CP,and uses lines like

"I'm not ******, this is actually how I talk - if you're struggling to understand me, tough s**t!"

I do cover race, age, sex and other forms of discrimination but tend to start with this one. It alo links nicely with the communication one - the sitting/standing example can be developed as a wheelchair user and whether you should squat down to speak to someone.
    Sign language also crosses both. Allowsfor some nice crossreferencing in the portfolios.

When teaching equality and diversity the first question to the group is usuallt "so what day is it today?"

There is always something, chinese new year, muslim new year, Burns night, saints day, national holidays such as Australia day, Black history month, Cancer awarness etc wtc.
    Sometimes the class would get a small present eg for chinese new year they got red envelopes with fake coins in. Food is great for gifts like this.

Another activity I've done on assumptions is split the class into groups and give each group a box or bag with a few items in

box 1
    sari
    indian style bangles
    Box 2
    Japanese tea set
    chopsticks
    Box 3
    New Rock boots
    Box 4 ..............

Get each group to discuss who the owner is, are thet male/female? do they speak English?
    In reality I own all the items, but you could also borrow from other staff.

4. Hi
    Thank you for your reply. I have done some of the activites you have suggested for unit 1. I like teaching Equality and Diversity. I'm also a disabled person and feel that I have a lot to offer the students in terms of experience. I also teach A level Health and Social Care - well this is the last time as I mentioned we are leaving AQA. The unit I am teaching now is called Clients' with Disabilities (very bad title considering the specs promote the 'social model' of disability.I have an excellent DVD I recorded from the BBC called 'Are You Having a Laugh' it shows how disability is portrayed in the media. It also covers some of the history of disability.
    Many thanks for your suggestions.

5. Hello all
    Would someone attach a hyperlink displaying the most common H&S courses please.
    The amount of course choice is mind blowing.

Given the climate, is it work studying for the new assessors award?

6. That should read <u>worth</u>