1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BTEC L3 Applied Science unit 32

Discussion in 'Science' started by ranvier, May 3, 2016.

1. ranvier

ranvier New commenter

I am doing unit 32, Forensic evidence collection and analysis. I am getting together a Crime Scene and would really appreciate ideas about what to include. I can do items to fingerprint, footwear impressions using dental stone, collection of unknown substances (salt and another to do flame tests on).

But are there any more challenging things I can be doing for a L3? DNA analysis, blood analysis for example and how would you do them.

Any ideas would be most appreciated or a website which helps you set up a crime scene. I do want to stretch the students.

Thanks

2. CookiMnstr

CookiMnstr New commenter

The assessment criteria for unit 32 that targets collecting evidence in a crime scene asks for learners to gather Biological, chemical and physical evidence. To make it easier for yourself before planning what evidence to put in the crime scene look at the requirements of the other assignments in the unit.

In terms of setting in the vocational context of a forensic investigation and to build a case file throughout the whole unit determine which of the techniques listed in learning outcomes 2, 3, and 4. Plan the evidence that the learners will find in the scene based on the techniques you have the ability (working knowledge of, and actual equipment) to complete.

By planning out the unit this way it will also deepen the learners understanding of the process from crime scene to court room when it comes to learning outcome 5.

If you want someone to take a look at your assignments or further advice I would be more than happy to help

3. steve533

steve533 New commenter

When i used to do a crime scene i used to get the learners to work in group of four / five. Make some fake blood, sugar, paper, small bags, make shift weapons such as a empty bottle of wine. One would volunteer to be the victim and bring a change of clothes - and then let get on with it - whilst i offered advice on what to add. Worked well but you need time.

4. ranvier

ranvier New commenter

Many thanks for your comments.
    Thank you for this. Based on your comments I feel far more confident delivering the crime scene. Worked on it over the weekend.