1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Btec issues, GCSE DRAMA possibility and LAMDA exams

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by bplanky, May 1, 2012.

1. Evening all,

Am I right in now thinking that students are unable to do the acting and dance BTEC level 2 at the same time in school due to the core units being the same?

We had a short meeting today and was left with the task of finding suitable alternatives for our BTEC Acting course (diploma level 2)

I'm quite happy to convert over to GCSE drama although I have no idea which exam board to go with so any advice would be great.

As its the Btec diploma, it runs for 6 lessons a week. The gcse would run for three of those and I then began to think about providing LAMDA examinations (level 2 or 3if students able)

Does anyone know if the LAMDA exams count towards the 5 A*-C measure?!? I know they are on the ofqual website and their exams all have QAN numbers.

Can anyone help with any of this?

Thanks

Plank.

2. Evening all,

Am I right in now thinking that students are unable to do the acting and dance BTEC level 2 at the same time in school due to the core units being the same?

We had a short meeting today and was left with the task of finding suitable alternatives for our BTEC Acting course (diploma level 2)

I'm quite happy to convert over to GCSE drama although I have no idea which exam board to go with so any advice would be great.

As its the Btec diploma, it runs for 6 lessons a week. The gcse would run for three of those and I then began to think about providing LAMDA examinations (level 2 or 3if students able)

Does anyone know if the LAMDA exams count towards the 5 A*-C measure?!? I know they are on the ofqual website and their exams all have QAN numbers.

Can anyone help with any of this?

Thanks

Plank.

3. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Personally, having taught all the different boards at some point if you're going for GCSE - I would go with WJEC - The support is excellent with email enquiries or phone calls dealt with the same day most of the time, their training courses purposeful and constructive and the syllabus very clear and comprehensive to decipher; A very good balance of performance work and self evalaution with one set text for the written paper.
    I don't use LAMDA here, but I do use ESB (English Speaking Board) as a secondary qualification students can pick up while doing GCSE. I would imagine the QAN to be similar - with level 2 thresholds making the qualification worth about a quarter of a GCSE.

4. I teach a lot of LAMDA. Grade 6 (Bronze), Grade 7 (Silver) and Grade 8 (Gold) are all worth UCAS points depending on whether the student achieved a merit, distinction or pass. Personally if I was starting over I would do Trinity - it is a little more expensive for the exams but better all round I think. I teach LAMDA musical theatre, public speaking, verse and prose, reading for performance, mime, devising and acting. All courses are ok - exam price should be considered as the top level exams where the students gain UCAS points can be pricey. If you need any more LAMDA info you are welcome to inbox me.

5. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Bigbrother - You might know, does LAMDA offer certificated and qual weighted qualifications for GCSE level students?

6. To my knowledge Grade 5 and below are all only worth the LAMDA certificate/qualification. Grade 6 and above collect UCAS points. It is possible to have GCSE students doing Grade 6 and even Grade 7 in Year 11 if they are very strong.

7. Hi Big Brother,

You seem clued up on Lamda exams- wondered if I could pick your brain.

What qualification do you need to teach? I am a qualified drama teacher and did Guildhall exams when I was younger, think I stopped at grade 8. Do I need to have done the exams myself to teach?

Also, how do igo about registering etc?

Many thanks

Stephanie

8. Thanks, that's really helpful :)