1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BTEC in Business Lesson observation advice

Discussion in 'Business studies' started by naomis, Feb 25, 2012.

1. i need help in setting objectives for a unit i am being observed on. Students have completed the unit but would be working on different tasks. can you suggest objectives that could be set for the lesson and has anyone being observed whilst doing a similar lesson. Please help

2. i need help in setting objectives for a unit i am being observed on. Students have completed the unit but would be working on different tasks. can you suggest objectives that could be set for the lesson and has anyone being observed whilst doing a similar lesson. Please help

3. Might be helpful if you explain what the students have been studying. You are saying they have compeklted the Unit and it is just writing up. Ensure tehy have the criteria they are to be marked against. The objectives, surely, woudl be all about that?

4. I tend to give my BTEC students a personalised cover sheet outlining what they have and haven't achieved with personalised targets for improvements. In effect they each have their own set of learning outcomes to achieve.
    Another way of dealing with BTEC students is to hand out their work, they review their froint sheet looking at what they need to get done (this could be a good starter) then each student needs to set themselves their own LO for the lesson, you could get them to write it on the board and then rub it out when its achieved any maybe set another one. Then at the end of the lesson get them to reflect on their target and set set themselves a new one for next lesson.
    I also have a traffic lighted mark book I project on the board so students can see where they are and they love it when the reds change to green, very motivating stuff!
    I hope this helps, BTEC is a tricky one to teach as it is very pupil driven. I often spend most of my lessons sitting with students giving advice one to one to get them to complete the different criteria.
    I hope this is useful and the obs goes well, as long as you can show ALL pupils have made progress then you should get a good obs.
    Miss CJW

5. going grey quickly

going grey quickly New commenter

I just love it when I am observed in a BTEC lesson (especially if it is SLT!).

The advice you have recieved above is spot on - and if anything is said in feedback (depending on your school's latest fad) just show them the specification....