1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BTEC ICT Unit 3 Using Social Media in Business

Discussion in 'Business studies' started by jeburden, Dec 1, 2017.

1. jeburden

jeburden New commenter

First time posting. Just starting teaching this BTEC at School. Can anyone give me some advice regarding how to accomplish Learning Aim C. Thank you.

2. elder_cat

elder_cat Established commenter

I taught BTEC Computing rather than Business, but I've just looked at the PDF version of the Edexcel spec for the Unit:

Recommended assessment approach Learning Aims B and C
    • Documentation showing the planning, preparation and implementation of the use of social media in a business, which meets identified requirements.
    • Established social media pages dedicated to the business, which fulfil the requirements given in the plan, accompanied by supporting documentation.
    • Statistical data generated by social media websites, including an analysis of how it was used to optimise the use of social media.
    • A report evaluating the use of social media in a business against the plan, showing how well it meets business requirements.
    I would say that Learning Aims B and C are linked, in that the stuff they do for Learning Aim B should feed into Learning Aim C.

I think the key to their being able to do that effectively is to involve local businesses, so that whatever they produce and evaluate is based on a real world business need. See if you can persuade some local folk to let your students produce something based on the needs of their business. Could be a small or fledgling business, or local charity? If need be, you could even consider using the school as 'the business'! The students then produce a plan that addresses and meets the needs of the client, and then go on to produce the necessary social media artifacts of one kind or another, that implement the plan, and finally evaluate whether the objectives have been met.

I would suggest that asking them to do these type of things, without a connection to a real world 'organisation' of some kind, with clearly defined objectives and requirements to work to, simply creates a problem. I found that asking the students to produce things to meet 'notional' needs never really worked out that well.

As a last resort, if you can't involve local businesses directly, you are probably going to need to come up with a detailed scenario the students can refer to, but it does need to be detailed and will involve quite a lot of thought on your part to get it 'fir for purpose'. You could then have some Q and A sessions, where you play the part of the client and the students ask the necessary questions to develop their understanding of the requirements.