1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BTEC I&CT

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by violetriga, Jan 23, 2012.

1. We're looking at possibly running this course from 2012 (or the Cambridge Nationals). It seems to have some good features and you could teach it without having anything to do with "traditional IT" (ie. Office). Anyone else looking at it?

2. We're looking at possibly running this course from 2012 (or the Cambridge Nationals). It seems to have some good features and you could teach it without having anything to do with "traditional IT" (ie. Office). Anyone else looking at it?

3. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

Yes, but only just started. As you say - can you avoid the dull bits? There are some examples assessments online.

4. We are running this and with a lot of success. Kids seem better engaged than with the previous
    BTEC Firsts. Might be because we have started in Year 9 of
    course.

Just completed the online exam. Absolutely no technical problems. Fair play to Edexcel - the technology work perfectly. Again, the kids were well engaged and seemed
    to thrive on the adrenalin of a real exam.
    Certainly they appreciated its fairness to all who sat it.

Helped being able to see the progress as it focused their
    efforts. Also, the ability to change the
    screen colour helped many of them.

Most finished in 35-40 minutes and had accessed at least 90%
    of the questions though how well is open to debate! We wait with interest for the results.

They did say that they enjoyed the straightforward questions
    e.g. “what is meant by...”. I did find
    that some groups had been better prepared than others (we ran 6 sessions) which
    highlighted certain areas within the teaching that need to be addressed.

Glad we decided to go with this as it now has the rigour it
    so needed. And nice that somebody else
    can do the marking!

5. <font face="Times New Roman" size="3">

</font>Bronco Brian we will be delivering the BTEC I&CT course
    in September. What units have you opted for? What&rsquo;s the assessment like? Totally
    new to BTEC</font>

6. Good Interactive website here for Cambridge Nationals and OCR GCSE [​IMG] plus others

7. Units 3, 6 and 8.
    Assessment is clear about what is needed just be careful how you write the assignments.
    Edexcel has a good service that will check your assignments to see if they are fit for purpose. I'd recommend you use it.
    Rest is all fine if more rigorous than before. Personally I think that is a good thing as it adds a lot more credibility to the qualification.
    Let me know if I can help.

8. Hi Bronco Brian,

How have the students done so far in the units? We are considering exactly the same ones.

I've been told the exam results aren't great from the Unit 1 Exam.

Thanks