1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BTEC - Home Cooking Skills

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by almika, May 10, 2010.

1. Has anyone decided to start teaching this BTEC this year? I have just spotted it in the Secondary Teachers magazine and read the spec and it sounds ideal for the type of students in my school. I would be interested to hear anyone elses opinions!

2. Hi I have the spec for this and it is an entry level. I agree this would suit my students as it is very practical based. Really teaches the pupils the basics of cooking. What are you teaching at the moment?

3. At the moment I am teaching OCR Home Ec (Food and Nut). I'm so keen to try and get this introduced. I have downloaded the spec for it and there is a level 1 and a level 2 and I think we would do level 2. What are you teaching at the mo?

4. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

That looks interesting. Do you think it could be run as an after school club?

5. God you are keen! I'm doing it in place of the GCSE. Have a look at the spec and see what you think.. I think it would be a lot of work for the students and you if you did that.

6. littlemissraw

Lol Im only NQT and food in my HoDs job so wouldn't like to suggest it as a replacement [​IMG]

7. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Can you post a link please?

8. littlemissraw

9. Can I ask, what are entry level equivalent to in terms of GCSEs.

10. Good question - have a look at the spec it should tell you. I don't know.

11. I have had a look on the spec, and I can not find it anywhere. I believe it might be equivalent to D - G grade passes but not sure

12. Level 1 is D to G and Level 2 is A* to C.

I got the approval this morning so I am starting it after half term.. nothing like last minute. Writing the letter to parents now. I am excited about it - it will be so practical and I have a feeling that the kids are going to love it. They really struggle with the OCR course I currently teach. It's nice to be excited about things and reminds me why I love this job so much! Sad but true!

13. Looking at it you could probably do level 1 as an afterschool club over two years but you have to be quite careful with the BTEC's as they are very strict about timings and allocation of it etc..

14. I just spotted this in the mag too and last week saw AQA are reintroducing entry level Food tech. Going to investigate all these as we have one lower ability group next year, entry level used to be all below C grades.

15. WRONG!! They have jsut updated the website and apparently it is a short course so Level 2 is worth half a GCSE.

I dont think after all this that I will be able to run it.. what a bummer.

16. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

17. Thank you for that link.

Issue is that I only have one group and it needs to be a GCSE at least. It looks amazing though and really got me excited! Oh well!

18. I am thinking about doing the level 1 at year 9 in preparation for the GCSE course. The good thing about this is that all pupils can do it, even if they decide not to opt for H.E. at year 10. Do you think year 9's could cope with it (very mixed ability)?

19. Yes I do think that would be good for Year 9 in prep for a GCSE - only thing would be what if they were not choosing it for an option - would they want to do it? WE have problems with motivation in Year 9 as it is and once they have chosen their options they are especially difficult to motivate!! Havin said that - it is an extension of the Licence to Cook I think and ties in nicely.

20. We're thinking of offering it wih a flt group. We did GCSE entry level food tech this year and it was very difficult getting the coursework from them. This looks much better and more appropriate for their skills.