1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BTEC First Diploma Health and Social care

Discussion in 'Social sciences' started by missmonienose, Sep 21, 2007.

1. Hi

I have just found out last week that I will be co-ordinating the BTEC First Diploma in health and social care to lower sixth students in a school (I am an FE Teacher... so all new eeekkk)

Beecause I am teaching the entire course and setting all assignments etc etc etc..... could anyone brief me on which modules are relatively useful to do at the start i.e the two compulsory units and how it would be best to strcture the year (3 modules before the christmas break and three after??))

i am also a newly qualified teacher this year so this all adds to the fun:)

Any advice welcome

thanks

2. Hi

I have just found out last week that I will be co-ordinating the BTEC First Diploma in health and social care to lower sixth students in a school (I am an FE Teacher... so all new eeekkk)

Beecause I am teaching the entire course and setting all assignments etc etc etc..... could anyone brief me on which modules are relatively useful to do at the start i.e the two compulsory units and how it would be best to strcture the year (3 modules before the christmas break and three after??))

i am also a newly qualified teacher this year so this all adds to the fun:)

Any advice welcome

thanks

3. Hi,
    I teach the BTEC Certificate so prob cant advise you as best as others on here, but I teach the Unit 1 and 2 (compulsory units) first (communication.... and Individual Needs...)

I teach at a chool where I only have two/three (depending on which group) hours a week over two years to teach the course, so I complete one unit before starting the next.
    I was only new to the school last year so my first piece of advice would be to go onto some of the training that edexcel provide. Go to their website-they have a training session coming up for BTEC HSC in school.

Have you got resources-I use the HSC Assessment and Delivery resources by Heinneman and the textbook that goes with it. The teaching of it is relatively simple, its the marking, asssessment side of it. Do you have an IV? I'm not really too hot on the admin side of things suffice to say its really important as you have to have your students registered by Nov 1st, i think. Also you need to pass the NSS sampling process etc.

4. Hi Smehboob,

Thanks alot for getting back. I seen the book on the web and was thinking of getting it however at £120 I was hoping it would be of use. i have some resources already organised thankfully:)

The BTEC First Diploma is a 12 hour a week course over 1 year so I was thinking of doing three modules at the beginnning and then moving on to the others.

ive asked about IV however they are unsure how this is all working as I am employed by an FE College but teaching in a school.

In terms of IV do all modules have to go through this process and all students?? thanks for advice on training I will cert look into that....

Cheers

5. All your assignment briefs will need to be IV'd by your IV-last year my IV was a maths teacher(also curriculum manager), so it could be anybody really! I suppose if you are employed by the college-your IV should be there-go to another BTEC dept at your college and ask them about their IV system-it will be similar I'm sure.

Its just to say that your assignment is fit for purpose-targeting each criteria etc.

I have had to revise assignment briefs loads of time because my IV has seen holes where I havent-its very useful because you dont want to get through halfway through an assignment and realise that you haven't assessed one criteria!

This is why the training will be a huge help-they will tell you exactly what you need to do.
    It would have helped if you had gone to some training in may/june-edexcel usually hold a session to do with IV stuff and NSS sampling.
    But do check the edexcel website asap for training coming up.
    The NSS sampling is done once a year-but I'm not too sure about the details. Its a bit complicated. Again there is training on it.

There is something called BTEC in box which has been recommended-apparently it has everything you need so I'm gonna look into that.
    Re the delivery resource with CD Rom-it is £120 but it has worksheets, a few PP presentations, activities and sample assignments for every unit, so quite useful. I get most of my lesson planning from it plus the textbook.

HTH

6. Thank you so much for all your useful advice, it has been of great benefit.

7. sam2004

sam2004 New commenter

Do you know where I can get hold of exemplar assignments, as a guide for lower ability learners as to what is needed in each section. Study guides have not been received, despite discussing the issue wirh EDEXCEL on mumerous occasions. This is the first time i have taught a BTEC First in a school, since they were revised in 2005, as mainly taught on National Diplomas. Obviously, concerned as to whether I am expecting too much of them, as majority of the group are predicted to achieve D's and below for GCSEs.

8. If you email me at shygalroo@aol.com i'll send you my year plans and SOW. My school runs it both at KS4 & 5. The NSS is tricky but if you start the process early its less stressful. Everything was fine last year, but if anyone has any exemplar material I would love to have a look at it

9. sam2004-did you ever find any examplar assignments? IT would be very useful if i could find some too-really struggle when im looking at a piece of work and thinking is this a PASS or have they done enough for a MERIT. Sometimes there isn't much difference.

I would also like some advice about the BTEC First diploma HSC.
    My school wants to introduce it in Year 9 as a two year course-4 hours a week-i would have thought more hours were required.
    I'd just like to know how I could manage it-I'm on my own and I don't know a lot about BTEC's in general-what would I need in place? Will i be able to sope with the marking that goes with it?
    Thanks

10. we start the BTEC in yr10 and they have 6 hours a week and they also go to college for one day a week -which helps. Most of them are low ability, so they work very slowly and the extra 3hrs is needed. The course is pretty simple to set up as long as your brief is passed by the E.V for NSS. We have two teachers - but it could be done with just you. There is alot of marking, but i've got a rule that you submit a first draft and get written feedback and on the second draft 1:1 with oral feedback then thats it. If not you can become like tennis!

Hope this is helpful! Let me know if you need more info and email if you need SOW

11. Thanks for your reply.
    Currently, Im teaching the btec HSC first certificate over two year and get 2 hours a week (!) and i really like im just teaching the course without any real reflection from students or exploration. They don't do the vocational aspect either (unit 3).

So I'm wondering how I would teach the diploma in 4 hours a week? Its a joke.
    Ruth-I'm assuming your students do their other subjects too-are they ok with the workload seeing as the diploma is equal to 4 GCSE's?

This one day that the students go to college-how was that arranged? what do they do at the college?

Sorry for questions-just trying to get a feel for the diploma.
    would love to share resources-is there anything i can give to you? ( i cover unit 1, 2, 4)
    email is smehboob@yahoo.co.uk
    thanks

12. smehboob - check your email

Ruth

13. sam2004

sam2004 New commenter

Well, i get 4.5 hours a week to cover it and with low ability learners, it's a big ask, especially when the reading age of some is low and although you break information down, still struggle to understand what you want from them. Luckily for me, tried to run along the similar lines of my BTEC National, as I can't afford to bogged down with marking.

14. i'd avoid unit 7- have taught this for 2 years and they always struggle to get all the 'bits' together! I can email you my assignemnt briefs which have been iv if that helps?

15. Hi I am teaching the L2 and the optional units on the L3 probably - Unit 23 complementary Therapies, 39 Infection Control, Unit 26 Caring for Ind with additional needs Unit 28 Caring for Older People, Unit 40 Dementia Care
    Could swop units resources if anyone has anything ..... thanks

16. I teach unit 4. Send me your email address and I'll try to remember to send some stuff when I'm at work. Actually, on second thoughts, I'll upload it onto the Resources sections...I can't be doing with loads of people replying below asking for it repeatedly!

17. Whatever you do, don't pick unit 6 as one of the optional units, it's dull as dishwater and the criteria are so wishy washy in the second part of the unit. My students absolutely hate it. Am currently teaching L2 and L3 H&SC. Our L2 group have about 15 hours in college a week and do the course over one year (including 1.5 hours for Functional Skills), and some of them have struggled with that however lots have found it very easy and have already almost completed.
    If you pick unit 9, you'll need to do it over a longer period as it requires a fair amount of practical work, wheras units like 2, 3 and 4 are pretty short and straight forward.