1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BTEC First Certificate in Engineering

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by mrrhyl, May 23, 2007.

1. I've just been tasked with starting a new Engineering course in September.
    Two years ago I had to do the same with Manufacturing and it was a real pain reading through the specifications, choosing equipment, text books etc. and producing SOWs.
    Can anyone help me out here with outlines of schemes of work, which are the best and most pupil friendly text books to buy and what (other than the workshop basics) would be essential tools and machinery to buy? I've already got an expensive laser cutter on the wish list!
    How about possible project outlines which fulfill the requirements but won't be too intimidating for pupils at a secondary modern?
    Help!
    mrrhyl
    An overworked HOD.

2. I've just been tasked with starting a new Engineering course in September.
    Two years ago I had to do the same with Manufacturing and it was a real pain reading through the specifications, choosing equipment, text books etc. and producing SOWs.
    Can anyone help me out here with outlines of schemes of work, which are the best and most pupil friendly text books to buy and what (other than the workshop basics) would be essential tools and machinery to buy? I've already got an expensive laser cutter on the wish list!
    How about possible project outlines which fulfill the requirements but won't be too intimidating for pupils at a secondary modern?
    Help!
    mrrhyl
    An overworked HOD.

3. re

re New commenter

Hi - we've just finished ours for the first year. Ours is pretty basic, but has approval. I'll send some stuff to you if you email me.

redwards37@orange.esinet.org.uk

4. Over Half term, I'll have a spare few moments to write a post stating all the stuff that we currently do etc..

What facilities do you have at the moment?

5. re

re New commenter

We actually do the Introducory Certificate in Y10 followed by First Certificate in Y11, although we are thinking of doing First in Y10, followed by First Diploma in Y11, as the First Cert has less in it about finding jobs, writing personal statements etc.

6. Our current facilities include:
    Pillar drills
    2x metalworking lathes
    horizontal mill
    Boxford duet (CNC lathe and mill)
    Buffer
    Grinder
    forge
    aluminium casting
    MIG welder

Also, has anyone compared AQA Engineering to Edexcel Engineering - any opinions as to which is best/easiest to administer and teach?
    Thanks
    mrrhyl

7. welder

welder New commenter

Hi Mrrhyl - how is it going? any luck?

8. Hi - I know its late after the post but I have a SoW which I can happily email to you. Its very flexible and has some assignments in it. I can also let you have some of the assignments we've written for some of the modules. The rest still need completing.

Let me have you're email if you're interested

9. welder

welder New commenter

10. Hi
    I too am new to teaching the BTEC in engineering anything you could send me would be great.
    thank you in advance
    Michelle
    masoramm@yahoo.co.uk