1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BTEC Engineering Unit 1: Working Safely in Engineering

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by Get_me_outta_here!, May 3, 2011.

1. I am struggling to deliver the following assessment criteria to my pupils:
    1.4 Describe when appropriate sources of information would assist in complying with statutory regulations and organisational requirements.
    This is a Level 1 course (D-G grade), and I'd be very interested to hear off anyone who has successfully delievered this part of the Unit. I've nearly completed a PDF booklet of the entire unit (all other Assessment Criteria have been taught successfully) but need to get this finished first. I'd be more than happy to share the booklet or upload it to the Resources section of this website if anyone could offer me any tips.
    Many thanks
    Lee
    [​IMG]
    Unit content from Edexcel includes:
    Statutory regulations: relevant sections of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974; general regulations eg Control of Subsatnces Hazardous to Health 2002, Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 1995, Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998, Management of Health and Safety Regulations 199; specific regulations eg Abrasive Wheel Regulations, Electricity Regulations, Wood working Regulations
    Sources of information: officials eg safety officers, safety representatives, health and safety inspectors; sources of health and safety literature eg on notice boards, safety surveys; the seven main groups of hazardous substances defined by Classification, Packaging and Labelling of Danegroud Substances Regulations

2. I am struggling to deliver the following assessment criteria to my pupils:
    1.4 Describe when appropriate sources of information would assist in complying with statutory regulations and organisational requirements.
    This is a Level 1 course (D-G grade), and I'd be very interested to hear off anyone who has successfully delievered this part of the Unit. I've nearly completed a PDF booklet of the entire unit (all other Assessment Criteria have been taught successfully) but need to get this finished first. I'd be more than happy to share the booklet or upload it to the Resources section of this website if anyone could offer me any tips.
    Many thanks
    Lee
    [​IMG]
    Unit content from Edexcel includes:
    Statutory regulations: relevant sections of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974; general regulations eg Control of Subsatnces Hazardous to Health 2002, Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 1995, Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998, Management of Health and Safety Regulations 199; specific regulations eg Abrasive Wheel Regulations, Electricity Regulations, Wood working Regulations
    Sources of information: officials eg safety officers, safety representatives, health and safety inspectors; sources of health and safety literature eg on notice boards, safety surveys; the seven main groups of hazardous substances defined by Classification, Packaging and Labelling of Danegroud Substances Regulations

3. Did you carry out the recent online training with Edexcel to become a lead IV for engineering?? If so there were some good exemplar work to do with this unit. I have it if you want a copy. I am looking at the specification at the moment and can't see where this 1.4 statement is? Which grading criteria does it meet? P1,P2, M1 etc.

Cheers,

JJ

4. Hi

I have just seen your post.

I had the same problem, to be honest it is quite a 'dry' subject. What I did was to take photos of signs we had in the workshop and school such things a H&S work act poster, emergency stop buttons, blue fire signs that are on notice boards basically any sight that has to be in place by law. I then got the students to describe what type of sign it was mandatory etc and explain why it was in place.

If you message me you email I will send you over an example. What units are you covering?

I am doing U1, U7, U14

I hope this helps

Rich

5. Hi JJ - hows things going down West?
    The Level 1 Engineering (BTEC Level 1 Introductory Certificate and Diploma) is a new updated Specification (the one on the website is from Feb 2005) that Edexcel are behind on releasing. I managed to get hold of a draft version and was working with that. I'm unsure as to when it's actually going to be available online (I spoke to someone from Edexcel last November who said that it was due to be on the system in Spring 2011, but as far as I'm aware nothing is on there).
    I didn't manage to go on the course, but I'm assuming that the content would be very similar if not the same. If you have any resources on Unit 1 lying about I'd be really grateful of a look. I think you still got me email.
    I'll have a look too at some of the new resources I've been putting together for KS3 so if there's any projects that you want updating or changing let me know and I'll share some of the latest stuff I'm teaching.
    Regards
    Lee

6. PM sent Rich. Cheers

7. In tthe process of sending you some stuff.

Cheers, JJ

8. Hi
    I will be teaching Edexcel BTEC Level 1 in Vocational Studies from September (linked to car mechanics). I work at a PRU with difficult to manage students who want to do mechanics - I can select optional units that they would find interesting, but the core includes 'Unit 1 Working Safely in Engineering' is not going to be so easy to deliver. Do you happen to have any resources or exemplar materials that could help.
    Kind regards
    Alistair
    Finding it difficult to make this unit interesting as the subject is rather dry.

9. Hi lee,
    I am new to this Health and Safety Unit. I am also have a problem with delivery of this unit. it will be great help if you have some resources and assignment for this unit.
    My email is ztaung@yahoo.co.uk.

Many thanks,
    zta

10. Can anyone help me with resources for the theory of this subject please? My students are going practical work with a Motor Vehicle tutor, but I know nothing and am expected to support them writing the theory. Has anyone produced an assignment for this? I would really appreciate a copy. Also where to get the information in an easy to read format. Many thanks.
    kcininas@bca.ac.uk
    Kathy