1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BTEC Creative Media Production

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by Zoki59, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Hi all,

I'm new, both here and to teaching (well, university lecturing really), but I've lots of professional experience in TV and film which I'm happy to share in exchange for advice on the teaching/educational aspect of it all. Just PM me and I'll send you my contact details. I'm in the North West.

2. gnasher2005

gnasher2005 New commenter

Do you prefer the BTEC to the OCR Creative iMedia. I've been looking at both, and the OCR seems to have units that would be more interesting???

3. Zoki59

Zoki59 New commenter

Anyone have any exemplar Unit 1 and Unit 5 work please - that's been marked preferably? Would like to see what other people have been doing, and the standard in which PASS, MERIT and DISTINCTION have been awarded to.

4. Zoki59

Zoki59 New commenter

Still looking for teachers of BTEC Creative Media Production in the Manchester area......would really like a group of teachers that run this course so we could meet up occassionally and compare work and ideas, or even share them on the net.

5. Hi there ... I 'm not in the Manchester area, but would love to meet up/email to share ideas. I will be taking over BTEC Media Extended Certificate and Diploma from September and am fairly new to it all. Any help or advice would be gratefully welcomed....

I look forward to hearing back from you [​IMG]

6. Zoki59

Zoki59 New commenter

Have started a group on facebook for Teachers of BTEC Creative Media Production Level 2. Just because I don't always log on here and I can see comments and reply faster through facebook. Would like people who teach BTEC Creative Media Production to join as I want to create a network of teachers - preferably in the North West, but am open to others joining too.

7. I am starting my first teaching job at a secondary school teaching BTEC Levels 3 and 2 and I to am the only teacher in the department. I am confident in my ability but need advice on schemes of work as each unit requires its own SOW which is a mountain of document making. I have researched Edexel resources and have been advised that creating a SOW should begin after consultation with the school and having a firm idea of equipment available. There are limitations in this department... Any thoughts on this greatly appreciated.

8. What is the name of the facebook group? I am based in NW1...

9. I'm new to teaching but I would go with Adobe Creative Suite 5 because it runs Premier Pro video editing app, Photoshop and After Effects and is cheap. Most colleges running BTEC creative media have Macs with Final Cut Productions suite which is expensive but has much greater scope and depth for digital editing... having said that, Premier Pro is good and is becoming more widely used it seems now that Final Cut has completely changed it's software design.

10. Zoki59

Zoki59 New commenter

http://www.facebook.com/groups/105232629576450/

11. Zoki59

Zoki59 New commenter

Hi, has anyone taught Unit 5: Video Production yet for Level 2?

12. Zoki59

Zoki59 New commenter

Ta for that! Now another question........how do other centres cope with storing video footage that pupils have captured? It appears to be too much for the computer space my pupils have at the moment. We use Adobe Premiere Elements to edit, but just having all the raw footage in their area is either tricky, or impossible!

13. Zoki59

Zoki59 New commenter

Got another question...........or a few actually.

1. My computers do not cope well at all with the amount of footage we have stored in pupils computer space - does anyone have any suggestions?

They also don't cope well with editing - it's a very slow process. I know editing is slow, but my computers at school take FOREVER to do anything, leaving the children disheartened when they can't do what they want to do.

2. With the whole BTEC revamp - is anyone getting rid of Creative Media Production from their curriculum and replacing it with a Media GCSE of sorts?

3. I am still looking for a Manchester based network of folk to gather perhaps once a month to share ideas, bring assessed work to look through, etc, etc. Please let me know if you would be interested in this.

Thanks!!

14. Zoki - as you've found out by now, editing through your students' 'My Documents' is hopeless. They won't have enough space, and every edit decision has to travel all the way across the network to the server, and all the way back again. That's not just slow for you - you're probably slowing the whole school down every time a class edits!
    To make video editing work properly you really need either a dedicated server or (more cheaply) a 'NAS' drive located close to your edit suite. Your network support team should be able to discuss this with you - but you're probably talking four figures to purchase and set up. Depending upon how your network operates, they may need to set up a 'virtual network' to contain all of the edit traffic within one small 'area', rather than bleeding out across the whole network.

15. Zoki59

Zoki59 New commenter

Hi,
    looking for marked examples of Unit 1, p2, m2, and p3, m3 graded work.
    Thanks!

16. Hi

Are you still delivering this course?

17. wiredtoinspire

wiredtoinspire New commenter

I am starting to teach the course for the first time. I have taught BTEC before - about five years ago very successfully at A level. Did teach the GCSE for about a year too. Confident with content, concepts and film making but the new spec is very different to the one I experienced 5 years ago. Have a whole host of queries. I am actually starting the course in about 2 weeks as we "roll over" then - so very little time to prepare. Was going to make my way through Unit 1 and digital sectors, audiences dn reading the media rther than start a practical unit. Will be tackling Unit 2 and 3 together but am uncrtain as whether to do the audio or website production. Am finding it quite difficult as the only person delivering to wade through the unit info and getting started packs and BTEc jargon. For example I am unsure of what they mean by visual, verbal and written evidence of planning, can't they just be more specific. Anyway if you have time to field some of my questions it would be helpful?

David

18. I am in the process of setting up the BTEC Level 3 Creative Media for teaching in September, but have no idea where to start with this.

Can anyone pass any information on, give me some advice, share some resources on some/ any of the units etc.....

I cannot find any schools in my area who run this course so have tried to find HELP from here....

Nicola

19. Zoki59

Zoki59 New commenter

I still deliver this course. Will be running the old spec with Year 11, and the new Creative Digital Media Production spec with Year 9. Gutted that Animation Techniques isn't in the new spec - have bought various items for this that won't be used now.

20. Hi,

I am just starting to teach this course and I am completely new to Media BTEC. I am starting Unit one next week and our school have never done it before. I am going to be the only one delivery it. Does any one have any examples of unit one marked work or and direction as to where I can find some resources apart from the edexcell stuff. I will be teaching it to a small bottom set and we will only be completing the Award at level 2.

Any help or advice would be greatfully received.

Thanks

N