1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BTEC Construction & The Built Environment (Award) - Unit 1 Theory Exam

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by rogernewman10, Jan 10, 2018.

1. rogernewman10

rogernewman10 New commenter

Hi folks,

We have been teaching this (NQF) course since it started (in 2014 I believe?). We have found over that period of time that many of the students who opt to take this subject really struggle with the external exam for Unit 1. Many will never achieve above the Level 1 Pass grade, despite several attempts at sitting it. We have tried all the usual strategies like walking the students through previous Papers and Mark Schemes and creating numerous resources for class-based and individual revision.

So, if you also teach this course, I have three questions I would love your responses on please:
    1. Do you have any suggestions on great ways to teach the syllabus content?
    2. How do you prepare your students for the exam, in terms of revision resources and strategies to engage them in individual study?
    3. Would you be prepared for me to come and visit your school/college and spend a few hours sharing ideas/resources etc.

I think there seems to be a lack of existing online community for this subject/unit. There are also no courses for it either, according to Pearson. So if anyone is interested, I will find out how we add Construction as a specific subject in the Forums list.

Many thanks and I look forward to hearing back from you.

Roger Newman