1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BTEC Business

Discussion in 'Business studies' started by mathsman, Feb 21, 2012.

1. mathsman

mathsman New commenter

Why are you giving them so many attempts at the merit and distinction grades? it's clear they aren't up to it. We only allow them one opportunity to resubmit the higher grades.
    Draw a line under it and move on.

2. I think that whilst it is necessary to give students an opportunity to improve there's a fine line between helping them and doing it for them. If you have given them every possible opportunity to improve and they still can't do it then unfortunately they can't be awarded the higher grade. On a more positive note - are you being over picky with your assessment?
    I think our quality standards man said as a guideline - two attempts at the criteria

3. You are not alone. I debate this my fellow tutors ad nauseum. The consensus seems to be that we assist everyone to get to P and then allow natural student desire to filter out those who wish to push onto the merit and distinction levels . Those who don't, but we feel should do so, we coax into doing it. Once done, 2 attempts with facilitation and thats it. We are achieving the highest grades in the south so i guess it must be working. Personally i am firm believer in the philosophy that a few get high grades, some get mid grades and most ( maybe all ) get a pass.
    i like the idea of a framework detailed by other tutor below which i may adopt as it is a tough one to get them to grasp analysis and evaluation