1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BTEC Business Vs GCSE Business

Discussion in 'Business studies' started by chris1980, Nov 20, 2017.

1. chris1980

chris1980 New commenter

Hi
    I am currently delivering BTEC L2 Business across 2 years. But I'm thinking about changing to GCSE due to the high amount of coursework that has to be produced.
    Can anyone advise or recommend changing to GCSE Business or is it a case of the devil you know

Thanks in advance

2. PoundStretcher

PoundStretcher New commenter

Hi

I would argue better the devil you know. There are too many factors such as what is best for your students, what fits into the profile of the school etc. The one thing I will say is that there may also be the issue of whether you will go to a three year Business curriculum which I would think would cause issues with the "maturity" of the students in terms of what they are capable of skills wise. In essence what I think I'm trying to say is that it is a more complex decision that has to be undertaken.

3. elder_cat

elder_cat Established commenter

For what it's worth, I taught Edexcel BTEC for 7 years (post-16 Computing rather than Business). The coursework is the whole point of the BTECs. It was meant to offer an alternative to students who do not perform well in the traditional 'delivery-cram-exams' way of doing things. We had a few students who could have done equally well in the traditional setting, but chose to do the BTECs instead. But the majority would not have done as well in a typical GCSE/A-level
    environment. I suspect it may be even more true if you're delivering at Level 2, although you obviously know the capabilities of your own students.

4. going grey quickly

going grey quickly New commenter

as others have pointed out - the coursework is the main point of the BTEC - we tend to look at our actual students; so we have groups who are doing the GCSE as they are a group that are more suited to this type of assessment whilst we have other groups undertaking VCERT/BTEC as it suits their needs.

For year 9s we are just covering basics i.e. ownership, basic finance and will move onto basic marketing before making a decision on what is the best qualification for them

It may cause more work initially, however once you have your resources sorted the only pain is reminding (constantly!) SLT of which qualification a particular group is undertaking

5. thaigh1

thaigh1 New commenter

I like idea of having a common year 9 year of understanding the basics and then in yr10 choosing the right qualification. I would imagine though that would impact on staffing ?