1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BTEC business 2010 unit 13, 16, 19, 21

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by janebarker30, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Hi, just starting to teach from Sept 18 and wondered if anyone is willing to share Scheme of Works, Assessment plan or any other resources for:
    Unit 13. Recruitment and Selection
    Unit 16. HE management in Business
    Unit 19. Developing Teams in Business
    Unit 21. Aspects of Contract and Business Law

Many thanks

2. elder_cat

elder_cat Established commenter

I didn't teach Business, so I'm afraid I can't offer you any resources. But I did spend 7 years in FE delivering BTEC, and I found it a bit wierd and wonderful in some respects. So for what it's worth, here are some personal thoughts on finding your way around the spaghetti soup that is BTEC:

1. I am assuming you will be delivering to Level 3 students, who are already doing BTEC Business 2010:

https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/btec-nationals/business-2010.html

rather than the newer BTEC Business 2016:

https://qualifications.pearson.com/...&utm_campaign=VOC_BUS_07JUL2015_nationals2016

Just thought to check, given the web page above for the 2016 spec says........

"Don't forget you can continue teaching your BTEC Level 3 Nationals in Business (2010) for courses starting in 2017."

and..........

"Teaching from: September 2016
    External assessment from: 2017
    Performance tables (England): Applied General (2018 results)"

I would be tempted to double-check I was producing work towards the right qualifaction and specification.

2. The appropriate web page usually has links to resources such as Unit Specification, guides to Assessment, and Teaching Resources etc.

3. People might be more able to offer help, if you indicate what level you're talking about:

• Certificate
    • Subsidairy Diploma
    • 90-Credit Diploma
    • Diploma
    • Extended Diploma
    4. You should find a "Guide to Internal Assessment" here:

https://qualifications.pearson.com/...n-UK:Category/Teaching-and-learning-materials

5. I have to say I was not a great fan of some of the resources provided by BTEC. Some were OK, but for the most part I made my own. Hard work, but having to do it helps to develop and reinforce your own understanding of a particular topic.

6. You can get an insight into the general requirements of things like the Scheme of Work, and Sample Assessments, from the relevant web page. But I was never comfortable with using someone else's Scheme of Work. The problem is that they will have structured it to suit themselves and their way of teaching, which
    won't necessarily suit the way you do things. I always produced my own. Again, it means extra work, but as a developmental activity it pays dividends in the longer term.

7. Producing all your own stuff is time-consuming, and hard work. But I don't think I would have lasted very long, had I relied on resources and so forth being readily available. I undertand the temptation to use ready made offerings from other people. When I first started, I found the workload required to hit the ground running at the start of the academic year a bit daunting. People gave me assorted bits and pieces, trying to be helpful. But in all honesty I think it will stand you in better stead in the longer term, to get your own head around stuff from your own perspective, rather than attempting to re-use someone else's hand-me-downs.

Hope you manage to get yourself sorted, ready for the September start, and best of luck wth everything. :)

3. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

I always advise new teachers to beg steal or borrow. Hopefully there may be an old SOW kicking around your college which you could use for guidance. I have used TES resources but always plan my lessons from scratch; I actually love fiddling round devising my own ppts. Remember FE students like visual stuff, youtube clips, interactive lessons, possibly role play and poster work.
    My first year in teaching I spent hours and hours planning. Last year the curriculum changed and I had to do it all over again. As a rule once you have got everything planned you have got it for years and you just need to tweak it or add to it as time goes by.
    I do not teach business or BTec either. I teach an academic subject and my Btec students always complain that I make them work too hard.
    Good Luck.