1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BTec art and design

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by charmedimsure, Mar 3, 2011.

1. My son yr 9 is choosing his options at the moment. he has a statement of SEN for Aspergers and dyspraxia but is generally achieving well (except in maths!). He is very keen on Art and design but lacks what I would call technical skills. His actual drawings are quite immature. He does have some really good ideas and never struggles to complete his work.Is BTec the right thing for him do you think. He was thinking about GCSE but is worried about his actual drawing skills (although I know this isn't the only thing for him to consider). Any advice much appreciated.

2. My son yr 9 is choosing his options at the moment. he has a statement of SEN for Aspergers and dyspraxia but is generally achieving well (except in maths!). He is very keen on Art and design but lacks what I would call technical skills. His actual drawings are quite immature. He does have some really good ideas and never struggles to complete his work.Is BTec the right thing for him do you think. He was thinking about GCSE but is worried about his actual drawing skills (although I know this isn't the only thing for him to consider). Any advice much appreciated.

3. Hi
    Btec is a really good option because there is broader marking scheme that allows students that work hard and are enthusiatic to achieve rather than relying on the ability to record at a higher level. The national standards for GCSE are getting harder to achieve and a pass at Btec is equivalent to C at GCSE and depending on which qualification he completes - certificate/extended/ Diploma it equates to more than a GCSE. If the course is structured well it will cover the same skills and themes as GCSE but with a more vocational context. Us art teachers embrace students like your son because his special gifts enable him to see and interpret the world in an alternative often creative new way, Hope that helps.

4. Thanks so much for your reply Greenford. His Art teacher was very pleased that he wanted to do this as an option and said his attitude in class and to work is superb. She said that often they get students apply for this course because they think it is going to be easy but have no intention of putting the work in.