1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BTEC Applied Science Level 2 & 3 support

Discussion in 'Science' started by rumexer, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Hello,
    I've recently taken over a Science department in a college and am in need of some support. I'm completely new to BTEC but I think I have a fairly good grasp of what is needed.
    We have been delivering BTEC Applied Science First and National Diploma for several years. A lot of the assignments appear not fit for purpose and previous department heads seem to have managed to cover this up during EV without properly dealing with the problem.
    Over the next few weeks I will be providing sessions for my staff on effective assignment design with some outside support so that we can prepare for the new specs and fix a lot of very badly designed assignments which are being given to students.
    I was hoping that someone out there may be willing to share their excellent assignment briefs with me so that we can adapt them for use in our department. I am aware of the following site:
    http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Applied_Science_BTEC_Nationals
    but can't find much else out there.
    I would be extremely grateful for any support at this stage.
    Thank you.

2. pink_reindeer

pink_reindeer New commenter

I could maybe help? Well, I've taught level 1, 2 and currently getting to grips with level 3. Trouble is, I'm in a Welsh medium school so obviously all scenarios etc in Welsh. I can send them to you if you want to translate them?

3. Hi I have also taken over a Science department this year and have been placed in the position that I have a matter of months to create and pass the level 2 BTEC Applied Science Course. I have spent a good number of hours writing the new assignments with help from the faculty. But I am now feeling a lttle brain numbness even near death!!
    I would really appreciate any help with the final assignment for the Unit 2 Science and the World of Work. Any ideas on how to tackle this one and the level of detail that you have gone into with each step. I would be more than happy to share any of my work with you in return.
    Thank you

4. punky monkey

punky monkey New commenter

I'm in a similar boat with L3, having just taken over a department in a different school. Some Yr13s were offered to do the full diploma in one year but we have no resources or assigments in place. We aren't likely to get our budget until Nov so I'd appreciate any advice or help.

5. Hi

We're using the Collins pack. Its fantastic - comes with the briefs, worksheets, technician sheets etc. You may want to consider investing in it. It saves loads of time and is an excellent guide!

6. I'm in the same boat. I have replaced my GCSE with the BTEC Applied Science because my students in our ESBD School would find the new system very upsetting. Anyone can help with assignments with the same client group? We would be very grateful. Willing to exchange the ones we have developed so far for comment and improvement.

jkiddle@bromptonhall.n-yorks.sch.uk

7. NTsecondary

NTsecondary New commenter

We've put some assignment worksheets our TES resources profile:
    https://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/BTEC-First-Applied-Science-worksheets-6116628/
    Hope they help!

8. yes please

craft.fun@sky.com

Huge thanks

9. Carlsberg

Carlsberg New commenter

I deliver the Industrial Chemical Reactions unit, Applied Science , Level 3 if anyone wants to share and pool resources.. Unit 26.

10. Carlsberg

Carlsberg New commenter

What I am really after is to share and pool resources for Mechanical Principals and Apllications unit, Level 3, Extended ND in Engineering QCF.

Cheers

11. thattallteacher

thattallteacher New commenter

Please send me anything to do with BTEC level 2 dmclough87@gmail.com