1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BTEC Applied Human Biology

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by jademarkham, Nov 27, 2019.

Tags:
  1. jademarkham

jademarkham New commenter

Hi,

Is anybody delivering this course? We are delivering this course for the first time this year and are struggling with a complete lack of resources/textbooks/general guidance from Pearson! Can anybody help?

Many thanks!

2. r_heath

r_heath New commenter

Me too. I am making it up as we go along. Unit 1 is okay because we are using A level biology resources, modified where needed, but for Unit 2 Learning aims A and B I bought a good Microbiology textbook (hard copy, expensive) and a pdf version of another one which was cheaper, which helped me to plan, but I agree that it has been very difficult to find accessible materials for students, particularly about virulence factors. I am about to start teaching Learning Aim C and D - the microbiology practical stuff. Fortunately I have got another ancient textbook from the back of a cupboard which has all the procedures and recipes for making different types of agar and streak-plating etc. The big practicals for LA-D on testing antimicrobials I will base on an AQA A level practical, which I have documents for, but I will still have to modify them. Get back to me if this is of interest and I may be able to share some of it with you.

3. UoR_OOCS

UoR_OOCS New commenter

4. doow

doow New commenter

Same here! It is so hard to plan isn't it. I have asked several times about a textbook and keep being given a later and later date.

5. r_heath

r_heath New commenter

Thank you for this. I have downloaded some of the materials and will have a look. Thanks for sharing.

6. r_heath

r_heath New commenter

At a BTEC meeting last year I was told that a textbook is unlikely, as too few centres are offering BTEC Applied Human Biology for it to be worth them writing one. It will only happen if there is higher uptake...

7. doow

doow New commenter

Shocking. Coupled with the very limited guidance available on the level of detail required.

8. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

Try PE resources?