1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BT Infinity Broadband

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Mangleworzle, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

A heads up for anyone who has had a letter offering them this.
    I was on an unlimited standard broadband package which gave me a 2Mb connection for which I paid £25.60 a month. As of this morning I now have this new version (fibre optic) for the same price and deal but a 37Mb connection - I measured it, not just from their literature. The actual speed varies where you are, but for the same price what's to lose?
    Also when I first phoned up, they tried to put me off by offering me money off the deal I already on (on copper wires), My average £50 a month bill including Broadband could have dropped from about £50 a month to about £33 a month, with some mobile phoning deal thrown in as well when I ummed and arred a bit. They kept not signing me up (well twice) when I phoned so I did it online instead and it happened straight away, the sign-up, connection took about a week.
    What niggles though is that I had to make the effort and ask for this and while I am glad I did, the thought remains that if I hadn't I would have been on the old deal and none the wiser, paying over the odds for a slow connection or not getting the fastest speeds for no extra cost.
    If you're with BT - go online or phone them and see what they can offer you. If you are town/city based you may well have a better deal already, but this has now reached us out in the sticks.

2. They are actively promoting the fibre optic version through mailings.

3. argh - hit post by mistake. I meant to say that I think they've got a bit confused and maybe sent us your promotional material as the fibre optic isn't actually available here.

4. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

For a complete technophobe like me, how can you do this?

5. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Type "test your broadband speed uk" into Google, you get a range of test sites.

6. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

Thank you - very informative results!!