1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BSF

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by MrsC@TheGates, Feb 11, 2011.

1. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

So who will be the next Secretary of State for Children Schools and Families?
    And how long do you give Michael Gove?

2. Yes, it's a victory for common sense, but what else exactly? The judicial system has sent a clear message to 'call me dave' and his cronies that all they'll do when they ride roughshod over schools is that they'll just ask them to ponder it again over a pint.
    Odd that the courts do this when the government effectively steal £1bn from schools, but they throw the book at a couple of less than honest MPs who nick a couple of thousand. Maybe the power of Daily Mail readers is more powerful than the entire teaching profession.

3. It's the Mail and Express's fear actor that is all powerful......
    You can't generate a lot of fear about school buildings..........unless
    a) They are about to fall on the little childrens
    b)They are going to be filled by people not British (Daly mail defined version)
    c) They will be occupied by social security cheats
    d) They will be patrolled by looney leftie, gay/lesbian, transgender, child molesting teachers- who can't keep control- bring back the cane........
    e) they will bring down the value of your home!!!!!!!!

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

No-one. It's now the dept for Education and the current incumbent, Mr Gove, is the Secretary of state for education.

5. So, DFE have to go back to square 1 and go through the process properly. They will no doubt come to the same conclusion.
    Will other Authorities now issue their challenges? In batches one after the other and attempt to tie the process down? Will the courts allow it? Will it make any difference in the long run? Probably not. The councils have given Gove a bit of a biff on the nose, but nothing more.
    All we can hope for is that Cameron (his long term best mate) sees what a wonderful job he is doing and promotes him in his first re-shuffle. That should be in the next 6 -12 months if recent history is anything to go by. We then get a new SoS with lots of his own bright ideas to throw at us.
    Gets pencil and paper out to calculate just how soon he can retire and will it be before any massive hike in contributions. Look around you, thousands of others are doing the same!

6. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

OK, so I got it wrong.
    Let me try again.
    Who will be the new Secretary of state for education?
    And how long before Mr Gove is moved on?

7. I heard (think it was 'On The Record') that no further LAs could put a case andno projects would be resumed anyway- soa hollo9w victory- but some damning statements about The Government.
    I hope Sarah Tather is put into the DfE Sec. of State role.

8. Yes, I like Lawes, but not sure if he's a realistic proposition after the financial scandal.
    Teather (spelling correction- sorry) seems to have a lot of common sense and be down to earth.
    Either would be better than Gove anyway.

9. I like Sarah Teather too (wish she'd lose the tweed though). What is she? 36 or something. Anyway BSF. It was a mess from the start really. Absurd overpricing for what was sometimes simple extensions to buildings. Rediculous procurement processes also made the whole programme way over budget. 'Dave' should have stopped it, insisted on lower prices, more transparency and restarted the programme saving around 40% of the cost. What actually happened as we all know was a shambles