1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BSF RM Wireless solution

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by djphillips1408, May 15, 2011.

1. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

"RM Wireless solution" - that's funny

2. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

I don't think there is anything you can do, after all the SLT will have been sold into this idea and we all know it is not a wise move to rely on wireless, and less so when you are dealing with this bening managed by a company with such an appalling reputation. All I would do is try and convince the head to get some sort of clause written into the deal that means you are entitled to some sort of compensation when the thing inevitably goes down or does not enable classes to do anything constructive with the kit.

3. "We are to have a completely wireless solution with laptop trolleys shared out amongst departments. RM are going to be the supplier and mangers of our new network. "

And the Council of Europe has just declared that wi-fi and mobile phones should be banned in all European schools. Not that their word carries any legal force, but if adopted you're then stuck with the cost of ripping out the RM wireless solution and replacing it with fibre.

Good luck with budgeting for that one.

4. BTW, I've said it before but TES's aspx systems is cobblers of the worst kind. Being able to handle carriage returns from non MS OSs is the minimum you'd expect.

5. Oops, forgot to post the source:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/mobile-phones/8514380/Ban-mobile-phones-and-wireless-networks-in-schools-say-European-leaders.html

6. colwynexile

colwynexile Occasional commenter

If you read the report in the paper it does say that numerous technical committees in the UK have investigated this and decided the strength of the EMF put out by wi-fi is not a health issue, in much the same way that mobile phone usage will not create tumours in the brain unless you own an unshielded phone and are operating it for 8-10 hours a day with it clamped to the side of your head.
    Mind you, I don't mind using the report to scare some of the kids into leaving their phones at home, [​IMG]

7. Yep, I know it's cobblers. I worked with VHF/UHF RF at much higher powers than wi-fi puts out for 12 years and I still only have one head. Can't let sense get in the way of good scare though.